• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Restoring uncles 69 Convertible

patrickmccaherty

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm currently restoring one of my uncles two 69 convertibles. Unfortunately for some reason he took it to a "friend" of my cousins and he had no idea what he was doing. 3 years later my uncle almost couldn't find the car. It took a year and a sheriff to get it back. Anyway, I started on it Monday. And its going to a long winter.

patrickmccaherty

Reaction score
Oh ya pics.. nevermind the mess. I had to clean out our old frame shop for room. We have another frame rack we usually use. This shop became a catch all.

uploadfromtaptalk1418359138854.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418359186177.jpg

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
don'tcha just love what a "friend" can do to your car? keep the pics coming!

patrickmccaherty

Reaction score
Taking it down to somewhat good metal. Going to be able to salvage some. But calling AMD for the rest. Unfortunately no one that i have found make innards for convertibles. So will have to do some metal working to standard ones. (Wheel hubs,quarters)

uploadfromtaptalk1418694578423.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418694610801.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418694659546.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418694700006.jpg

patrickmccaherty

Reaction score
Yes in other shop. Our shop is mainly a collision repair shop but we build alot of cars for ourselves. The only problem is I dont really have access to it atm so i may have to makeshift one in here. I was thinking about our rotisserie but there is already so much flex in this thing i dont think it would end well. I have thought of just using the big framerack as a frame table since its right next to it but for some reason my little brother put his eclipse on it. Ugh. Brothers.

69convert

Reaction score
I cut down standard wheel housings for my car, had to use about 100 pcs of tape to make the pattern but they came out nice

patrickmccaherty

Reaction score
Nice. Im waiting for the inner wheel housings (have the outer) but that is what i had planned. I am trying to salvage the top of the originals but man they are pretty bad.

69convert

Reaction score
Yea I had to replace the lip around the cap and that took a couple tries with all of the curves. I also had to spit the inner and install it in halves. I was more comfortable lining up the Qt's, trunk and outer housings first so it was tough to get them in one pc.

patrickmccaherty

Reaction score
Oh yes makes sense. Thanks for the input. I will be picking your brain if its ok. I have never done much on convertibles.

patrickmccaherty

Reaction score
Its the same. 69. Its a 383 automatic. In drivable shape. Barely. They both started life blue. This one he wants orange. He said after this he may want to do his other but i said he was crazy. The reason i am doing this is because i feel bad someone else was screwing him around bad. If you can see the guy actually started painting it. And 2 different oranges at that. The bad thing is he has 2 nice cudas that are 80% that havnt seen daylight for 25 years. Obes a Hemi car.

patrickmccaherty

Reaction score
Here is the wheel housing. I have to reuse the top so i used the plasma cutter and then the spot weld driller. (Clamp style) this is the better of the two. The other i didnt cut and used just regular drill with spot weld bit. It didnt turn out as nice though. I will have to do minor patch work.

uploadfromtaptalk1418965988874.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418966311204.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418966337205.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1418966372376.jpg

Back