• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Return of the Dancing Tach

Ranger

Reaction score
That tach started bouncing around..........again. As some may recall, this has happened before. Here is the history to this puzzle that I hope someone can help with.

First time was last spring, shortly after I bought it and drove it home (from Detroit). That time it turned out to be the orange & blue ECU going out from being over charged by a bad factory voltage regulator. Replaced the ECU and the VR with a Wells VR706 on Big Johns recommendation. Voltage runs a consistent 14-14.5v. Problem solved. Reference: If anyone is interested. http://www.69roadrunner.net/mopar/showthread.php?12266-Electronics-Gone-Wild-HELP!

Months later (last summer) it started again. No misfire involved so I suspected the Tach. Pulled and cleaned the tach ground wire and it held an accurate and steady RPM. Problem solved.

A few weeks ago at the Farmington Mopars At The Park show in Minn. it started again, but this time it had an associated misfire. That turned out to be a badly oxidized 47 yr old connector from the battery to the starter relay. Cleaned it up and it ran fine all the way home (375 miles). Problem solved.

Last night it started bouncing around again. Cleaned and moved the ground to no avail. Thought maybe the tach was bad. Put a tach/dwell meter on the coil and it acted the same way, bouncing erratically.

HELP! I'm running out of ideas. :brickwall:

Actually, I have one, but don't want to lead anyone. I want to see if anyone confirms my suspicions.

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
I thought of that last time and it Ohm'd out just fine. That said, if it was the coil, wouldn't I also have a misfire or at least a rough running motor? It starts, idles and runs just fine.........so far. Personally, even though it is only a year old, I think it is the ECU. Last time it just flat lined on me so I'm afraid to drive it until I get it fixed. I didn't want to mention that so as not to lead anyone, but since there are no responses, there's nothing to loose. New ECU is enroute.

Last edited:

Ranger

Reaction score
Problem solved.

Turned out to be loose studs on the ammeter. Since I had to remove the wires anyway, I figured I'd just play it safe and bypass it, having heard all the horror stories. Gremlin caught and eliminated.

Back