• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rim question

BEEPBEEPBUCK

Reaction score
For the rear I would like to put Cragar super sport or GT rims on my 69 Road Runner. 15 inch, but should I go 7 inch wide with 4.25 backspace or 15 8 inch wide with 4.5 inch backspace?
The Runner has stock drum brakes and stock wheel well .
Then what do you recommend for tire size? I want decent height and as much width as I can without having to worry about any rubbing.
Then what do you recommend, doesn't have to be as with and still no chance of rubbing?
Thank you for any help, Buck

quikbird

Reaction score
Wider is better on rear. 10 is probably the max. That will fit without much rubbing. Overall stock diameter of the wheel and tire is about 26 inches diameter. If you change that you will need to alter the speedo gear to be correct. Or go to a GPS speedo.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
no need to alter speedo gear here in Ohio, we have very friendly people working for the governor that inform us of our speed......
New-troopers-at-VW-Post-3-2012.jpg.f6bdcf8ed8e9c0b08d4d3ebd34678ba8.jpg

BEEPBEEPBUCK

Reaction score
Basketcase, It's good to have a backup in case the speedo quits working. Those helpers always seem to leave those darn expensive pieces of paper with driver though.:beep:

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yep just had a run in with one up in Orlando on I-4. He wanted to know how long I had been driving and said he thought I needed a refresher course. :lol:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Interested to know what you ended up going with? im looking to replace the 17" rims that came on my RR with some 15" steelies, found a guy that will re-weld the centres with custom backspace.
Im currently running 275's on the rear, but I'd like to go a bit wider as well after some recent HP gains after an engine rebuild.
Cheers.

Goon

Reaction score
have 15" steels in rear on mine.
295/65R15 on 8" wide rims with 4 1/2" back spacing
30.1" tall
11.8" wide

Back