• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Roof Skin

MoparDan

Reaction score
Good afternoon gentlemen, :)

After evaluating the roof on my 70 I've decided it will be easier to reskin the roof than fix all of the damage (looks like a tree branch fell on it) I was looking at the drip rails, I took a wire brush to them and found that there is something that resembles body filler. I have never reskinned a Roadrunner so I guess I'm asking if anyone has noticed the filler between the roof and the drip rails? Also has anyone been able to save the factory drip rails or did you have replace them? I'm trying to save the $250.00

Cheers!

Dan

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes seam sealer like 69Hemie stated. Don't think you can save those drip rail's I just got new ones too do mine. Do you have a spot welder from Habor freight they work grate in that area. Also around the back window and front brow for wind shield pinch weld. Thought I would not buy one but it did come in handy in places. 61CmP81GYWL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
If you watch Pete my friend Pete on SWRNC U tube. He show's what to use between the roof rails and roof. It was a calk instead of seam sealer. The roof I got from AMD looked straight out of the box but after applying it to the car found had low and high spot's. Not too bad but will have to block sand it and get it straight . Good to see you saved some money just to put some where else. Keep us informed on the progress. Russ.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Thanks Russ,
I'm working on the roof frame. When the tree fell on it the frame crushed down on the right rear corner. It is about 3/4 of an inch lower. I'm going to use my porta power and work it back into place. I'm going to put cribbing under the car so I'm pushing up on the frame and not down on the floor. I expect some minor dents, but this is the best one I've seen. I watch my friend Pete all the time, I love it when he goes off.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
:lol: I got a kick out of his video's. He doses rant and rave sometimes but, in the end, has good points. You know not a sole out their giving us the info he has posted in live video. I bought several T shirts to help pay forward to help keep him on. Go Moab shop where he is now. Check out the friend deal car ready to paint. Yea right. He was so pissed and had to go over the hole car again. So Mopar Dan keep up the work. Not many guys would attempt to do what you are doing. Think you appreciate the car so much more if you do the work yourself.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Really down to the bones of the car now. Had to replace the inner upper frame rail on mine on driver's side. It had rotted out pretty bad. Looks like you have a handle on it good work. :thumbsup2:

MoparDan

Reaction score
Really down to the bones of the car now. Had to replace the inner upper frame rail on mine on driver's side. It had rotted out pretty bad. Looks like you have a handle on it good work. :thumbsup2:
Thanks Russ, I am enjoying working on it. I'll be glad when I finish the metalwork and can start the bodywork.
Make sure the rear glass and trim fits
Yup, I went to the shed and pulled out the glass. I think I'll take a little time and clean it LOL

Roof050.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Ordered stuff off E bay and other places to clean the scratches out of my glass. Watched U tube videos of how to clean glass. Did not like the results in the end. As most may know bought a new glass form AMD and put it in the car it was tight and after installing it two hours later it shattered. I was hart broken of cores. But looked a head at what to do. So had to have a Custome one made. It was costly but wanted to finish the car. I have since thought about what could have, I had done wrong so may have filled the pinch weld too much to smooth out the over lapping metal. Even though I keep checking it with the old window. Won't never know for sure now that the car is finished. Just going to drive it and show it off. Looking good on your end and hope you get yours's done soon. 5 and a half year in my car from start to finish and loads of money. :beep:

MoparDan

Reaction score
Ordered stuff off E bay and other places to clean the scratches out of my glass. Watched U tube videos of how to clean glass. Did not like the results in the end. As most may know bought a new glass form AMD and put it in the car it was tight and after installing it two hours later it shattered. I was hart broken of cores. But looked a head at what to do. So had to have a Custome one made. It was costly but wanted to finish the car. I have since thought about what could have, I had done wrong so may have filled the pinch weld too much to smooth out the over lapping metal. Even though I keep checking it with the old window. Won't never know for sure now that the car is finished. Just going to drive it and show it off. Looking good on your end and hope you get yours's done soon. 5 and a half year in my car from start to finish and loads of money. :beep:
Yes loads of money, but there is just something about rolling into cars and coffee and see everyone looking at the MOPAR!

MoparDan

Reaction score
I've got the roof mostly fitted. I'm just waiting on the 3M NVH Applicator Gun. I had a little trouble with the "A" pilar extensions but was able to work them into shape.

Roof086.jpg

MoparDan

Reaction score
I started welding on the hood yesterday. I put down the sound deadener and started welding. I had an engagement last night so I ran in took a shower and headed out. This morning I went out to finish and I'm out of 75/25%. I left the valve open last night. I just had it filled last week. Oh well a couple of pics.Roof094.jpgRoof100.jpg

Roof101.jpg

Back