• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Shooting F8 Green Paint

scorpio

Reaction score
Car is 69RR. The paint store says the above paint is "metallic". From the "chip" they had, I could not see any metal flakes. My question is: Can I shoot this paint with a "regular" gun or do I need one of those fancy ones that "agitates" the paint while in the cup? I just have an "el-cheapo" gun. This car will be just a driver. Going to use single stage paint. The store also said if they leave the "metallic" out of the mix, it will change the color a bit. Comments please.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Any gun will work and leave the metal flake in the paint, F8 will be really dark without it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
If you have any extra...give me a ring, I could use some......:D

My Green Roadrunner.jpg

My Green Roadrunner.jpg

moparchris

Reaction score
Any gun can be used. F8 has a very small flake and it will pass through the smaller tips. Shake the gun like a rattle can in between passes. Some put a ball bearing in the cup to help agitate. Also to avoid zebra stripes make passes with the gun side to side then top to bottom then diagonally to help the flake spread out evenly. The original paint was single stage applied by arguably drunk people so your chances of achieving a better than factory paint job is high, lol.

moparchris

Reaction score
Dave's car is now my favorite color. Primer. Hahaha. I have been calling his body guy and feeding him money to not finish Dave's car so it'll stay in primer.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Dave's car is now my favorite color. Primer. Hahaha. I have been calling his body guy and feeding him money to not finish Dave's car so it'll stay in primer.

tell ya what Chris, I'd be Ok staying in primer, but tell my body guy to put some nice paint on The Boss's Ghia! You know, If Momma ain't happy....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
tell ya what Chris, I'd be Ok staying in primer, but tell my body guy to put some nice paint on The Boss's Ghia! You know, If Momma ain't happy....
Dave, did you ever get that mess settled with the guy who painted the Ghia?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
nope/ Finally found a classic car appraiser that wasn't going to take one of my kidney's, got with a lawyer, and it's basically a "he said she said" thing. All agree the car got screwed up, but can't prove who did it.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The original paint was single stage applied by arguably drunk people so your chances of achieving a better than factory paint job is high, lol.

It wasn't called "single stage" back then... LOL. It was called enamel and they "baked it under hot lights to dry it fast.

BTW, I discovered a long time ago that I can't spray paint worth a damn when I'm sober.

Back