• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Short?

shar.darwish

Reaction score
8d2a6bf80876a0f1e5ce10b207c54fd0.jpg
97dfe8216927a997de4036b6026c7579.jpg
Since I got this 1970 rr 383 been getting it running. The car came with a lot of new parts so I went ahead and changed a few on the engine. The first pic above is the original distributer when I got the car. I replaced it with the new one. Not sure what the module on the side is? The problem is when I got the car there is a wire coming from a harness by the distributor that runs to the side of the carburetor. When key is on or car running that wire is heating up red hot! I unplugged it. Car still starts and runs.
Any idea what the previous owner was doing with this wire?

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
That's part of a solenoid that retarded the spark. It was part of the 1970 emissions package.

It's anyone's guess on the wire, but it's possible someone had an electric choke carb on there at some point.

wagonman

Reaction score
Big is right. My 70 Charger had that dist with a Holley carb. IIRC the solenoid gets 12v from the harness and is grounded at the carb base idle set screw. The screw was insulated with a plastic insert,when at idle the Ckt was grounded by where the arm contacted the screw. Off idle no ground and no retard. Kind of a Hokey setup that I always left disconected. Hope this helps.

Back