• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Should I be embarrassed

69383RR

Reaction score
I was very excited to see another roadrunner at the hot rod show the other day . After talking with the Canadian fellow who owned the car ,which was a beautiful Hemi roadrunner ,I left a little less excited . After complementing this fellow on how beautiful his car was, naturally the first question was lets see what's under the hood . He proudly lifted the hood to revel the gorgeous Hemi . Under my breath I said mine has a 383 in it , he piped right up and said No No I would never have a 383 . I started thinking about what he said and I remember when people ask me what I have for an engine , I seem to always say its only a 383 , we wanted a 440 but couldn't find one at the time , but at least its a numbers matching 383 . Does anyone else feel this way , would you rather have a 440 badge on the hood ?

I suppose it could be worse , it could be a 318 . I can't remember how many times I hear about a numbers matching car for sale with a 440 in it , but the 383 that came with the car is sitting on an engine stand in the corner. When I bought my 68 Charger the owner had a non numbers matching 383 on a stand , I renegotiated the price of the car and ended up buying a rebuilt 440 from another guy . Is it just me that has an inferiority complex or is this a normal reaction . I know there are guys on this sight that have 383's , are you content or do you regret not having the bigger , badder 440. And likewise , you fellows with 440's , do you think like the Canadian fellow ? I wont even ask the hemi owners what they think.

droptop

Reaction score
It all comes down to what you want to do with the car. If you plan to drive it, the 383 will do better with today's fuel. I would stay with the 383 especially with it being numbers matching.

69383RR

Reaction score
Yes , no racing here , just a little local driving . Maybe a little squeal ounce and a while !

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
I'm just proud to have a numbers matching car, that no one has played cut and paste with. Mine is a 68, so 440 wasn't an option for me. Next time someone says something like that just tell them you have 440 intake,/exhaust manifolds, 440 heads, etc. the difference in power stock was 40 horses. whats to be ashamed of.

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
Bottom line is you're gonna have an awesome car when you get finished. And it's gonna say beep beep when you hit the horn.

inri

Reaction score
I didn't want a matching numbers car so I went bigger than the 383. Boy, am I glad I did!!

In my opinion a numbers matching car trumps a non-matching numbers hemi, 440 6-pac etc. But I like the fun factor from a beefed up engine/trans. Until you break one of them...

I think a lot of people want to see the bigger engines in these old muscle cars. It's your car do what you want!

b-star69

Reaction score
:stuckup: THAT GUY IS A JERK! it's probably his first mopar that he paid way to much for two weeks ago.i agree with pinkpanthr numbers matching the way to go.mine doesn't have numbers matching drive train. i have a wm hp 383 and 833 match set and a smogger 440 and pp 833, which will i choose? I'M LEANING TOWARD THE 383 ! :beep:

pinkpanthr

Reaction score
My first car was an '89 buick skylark 'cause my mother had a cardiac everytime Dad mentioned getting me anything close to a "cool" car. It was an ugly, underpowered, granny car, but the drivers seat, (and on a few occasions the backseat!) opened up a whole new world for me, so I automatically loved it. I actually hated to see it go when the time came. It isn't about whats under the hood, it's about how you feel when you look at the car, when you sit behind the wheel, and when you motor down the road, strip, or whatever you use it for. Real petrolsexuals don't need the biggest and badest engine under the hood to love their cars. These cars are in our blood, and we automatically smile when we see one, whether its a concourse resto or a beater. That guy should pass his bird on to a true car guy and go buy himself a chevy.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Numbers match 383 :thumbsup: Like you in a way I went with exhaust manifolds mufflers and resonators stock cam and carbs for the original thing, but it dogs it down. There is a side of me that would like to make it run like a Hemi should. If you ever get to where you might start pounding on it at the track toss a 440 in it or better yet a stroked 400 so it fits under the hood better if you have an N96 car

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I don't really give a crap about "numbers matching" and of all the cars I've owned, my 383 Roadrunner was one of my favorites. Hemi cars are great... Don't get me wrong... but I'll bet that guy drove off the field and into the trailer where it stays until the next show. If you can't or won't drive it, it's really just a big paperweight.

I put almost 100k miles on my A12 over the years, so I practice what I preach.

Oh... another thing about "numbers matching"... With the correct size number stamps, I can make any engine numbers matching.... and it may shock you... there's a lot of cars out there that have magically become "numbers matching". I personally know of one Hemi car that had its VIN number jacked up and a pristine Satellite driven under it. It does have the original drivetrain, that I know. That car has been in many magazines too.... A little knowledge, a MIG welder and some number stamps will make a rusted hulk into a big $$$ show car that Galen couldn't tell the difference in.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I don't really give a crap about "numbers matching" and of all the cars I've owned, my 383 Roadrunner was one of my favorites. Hemi cars are great... Don't get me wrong... but I'll bet that guy drove off the field and into the trailer where it stays until the next show. If you can't or won't drive it, it's really just a big paperweight.

Oh... another thing about "numbers matching"... With the correct size number stamps, I can make any engine numbers matching.... and it may shock you... there's a lot of cars out there that have magically become "numbers matching". I personally know of one Hemi car that had its VIN number jacked up and a pristine Satellite driven under it. It does have the original drivetrain, that I know. That car has been in many magazines too.... A little knowledge, a MIG welder and some number stamps will make a rusted hulk into a big $$$ show car that Galen couldn't tell the difference in.

Can you make a #s match car sure! But if you claim to have a #s drive train you better be able to make the trans and engine stamp identical in every way. Even a crooked letter or number were stamped on both parts the same. Hard to do by hand

69383RR

Reaction score
Can you make a #s match car sure! But if you claim to have a #s drive train you better be able to make the trans and engine stamp identical in every way. Even a crooked letter or number were stamped on both parts the same. Hard to do by hand

I guess with the big bucks some # matching cars command crooks will go to any lengths , but I can't see someone actually trying to restamp parts and think they can get away with it .

RdChicken

Reaction score
This story reminds me of a time at Mopar Nats. My buddy has a Y3 Cream 69 Charger R/T, not too many cars were painted Y3 and even fewer still exist or have been painted to another color. So every time we see a Y3 Cream 69 Mopar he gets a little excited and has to look at it. Well about 8 or 10 years ago we were at the Nats and came across another Y3 Cream 69 Charger R/T in the concourse judged area. In the time he has owned the car we have never seen another 69 Charger R/T in Y3. We have talked to a dude that said he owned one, and the closet we've seen was a base 69 Charger. My friend was really excited and couldn't wait to talk to the dude about his car. The conversation was very short and the guy came off like a jerk. Basically he said there was no way my friends Charger was as nice as his, end of conversation. Oh did I mention he was pushing his car off the trailer and onto the show field. Nice car man, does it even run.

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

:yeathat:

Some of my cars are numbers matching; some aren't. Not that important to me. Guy you were talking to sounds like a jerk. 383 cars are great. I'd like to have a nice one with a 4-spd and A/C - Something I could drive anytime, anywhere and have a ball with it. Certainly rather have a clean NOM car than some "numbers matching" rust bucket that only has the cowl or radiator support left from the factory and all the sheet metal has been replaced. I call that a re-body any way you slice it. Just my :cents:

Last edited:

69383RR

Reaction score
i'm happy with my clone for now , until i can figure out a way to bump off my dad so i can get my hand on the HEMI :courage:

lol ! We don't say clone anymore , the politically correct term these days is "Tribute Car "

Last edited:

dbc105

Reaction score
My car is a '68 so it is a 383 and I would rather have it than a Hemi. Mine can sit all winter long and I can get in it and crank up and drive off, if the battery is hot. No constant valve adjustments, no gas additives, just get in a drive. For a street car there is nothing better. While my current 383 is not a barn burner I have owned one that out ran several 440's so these engines are no slugs.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've had 440s,and now a 383. My 383 runs every bit as good as the 440s did.
Sorry you ran into a jerk, even the mopar bunch has them. Now, something I said a long time ago here, I would feel comfertable parking my 20 footer next to any A12 or Hemi car on theis site, and feel welcome to do it. As much as we bust each other's balls here, the guys are are different.:thumbsup:

Back