• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sponge Bob Square Wheels question

Jim S.

Reaction score
I like the fact my car is real close to original (although I still would like to stick a 4 speed in it).
I am going to start saving for tires come this next spring. My tires are in real good shape but, they must be close to 12 years old. Time to dump them just for safety reasons. I know Bob put polyglas on his, granted mine is not a 100 point show car but, I still like the way polyglas tires look. My question for Bob is how he likes them now that he has experience driving his car. Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree and I should just get Coker steel belted radial redlines?

cj69RR

Reaction score
You can always go with the Coaker radicals but where they use the old molds. Old look and new performance. Best of both worlds.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Speaking for myself, I have F70x14s on my car and I have no complaints. Overall I think my car does just fine with them. The car came with redials and after changing over to the poly's I saw very little difference in the ride and the way it handles. Just last week my sister and I went on a 230 mile cruise and she had no complaints in the ride and I also put 650 miles round trip on it going to Carlisle and the tires were not an issue for me. I know some people use the Coker radials that are supposed to have the old look. But I only see a bit of that look in the side walls, and the threads, from what I have seen, are not of the original design. I guess it boils down to how original a look you want the car to be. IMHO!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The radials will make up for a worn front end because a bias will grab an edge in the road a bit. I don't have a problem with the handling and the ones I have are much stickier than a radial, plus I like the look of the square tread rather than the rolled edge of the radial. Jim you grew up with bias plys :thumbsup:

Jim S.

Reaction score
Jim you grew up with bias plys :thumbsup:

That's true, back then you would never throw a tire away, you would get yourself some inner tubes. :lol:

Steve, I didn't realize you had F-70s. That is good to know coming from someone that really puts the miles on his Road Runner.

Thanks for the replies. Guess this spring I will find out how tight the front end is......

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hard to beat the look of the old bias ply tires... I'ts not like you drive it everyday, Jim... :cents:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Jim S. said:
Jim you grew up with bias plys :thumbsup:

That's true, back then you would never throw a tire away, you would get yourself some inner tubes. :lol:

Steve, I didn't realize you had F-70s. That is good to know coming from someone that really puts the miles on his Road Runner.

Thanks for the replies. Guess this spring I will find out how tight the front end is......

Jim, I forgot to mention that on that 230 mile trip I took last week I'd say half of that was in a steady rain which didn't cause any handling problems either. So if you were to get caught in a rain storm I wouldn't expect that you have any problems. As long as you use some common sense of course!! :jester:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
bias plys are all over the road..they suck..if you want smooth ride and handling go with radials
Gotta differ with ya George. After I changed from radials to poly's on my RR I found no difference in the ride or handling. :D

moparstuart

Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
george68hemirr said:
bias plys are all over the road..they suck..if you want smooth ride and handling go with radials
Gotta differ with ya George. After I changed from radials to poly's on my RR I found no difference in the ride or handling. :D
I gotta agree with george damn bias plys grab every little grove and take you back and forth all over the road .

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparstuart said:
Roadcuda said:
george68hemirr said:
I gotta agree with george damn bias plys grab every little grove and take you back and forth all over the road .
I'll admit that happens once in a great while but not to that extent. It's definitely not a big problem for me. And that's true for any of my cars.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
It all depends on the condition of your front end, if you want to run worn out shit and get away with it then run radials. :cents:

moparchris

Reaction score
I like bias plys myself. I agree with Steve. George, you are probably are refering to running around on a drag tire. That is a different experience. It seems as though the new repop bias plys are made differently.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparchris said:
I like bias plys myself. I agree with Steve. George, you are probably are refering to running around on a drag tire. That is a different experience. It seems as though the new repop bias plys are made differently.
Thanks Chris, I'm glad somebody agrees with me!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
moparchris said:
Thanks Chris, I'm glad somebody agrees with me!
I guess I'm invisible :lol:

Back