• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter date Code Ibfo Needed

tom99

Reaction score
Where do I find, and how do I read the starter date code on my 1969 Road Runner. It Has the 383 Cu. In engine.
Thanks

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hey Tom - good to see you made it.
Guys - Tom emailed me but I have no idea what to say to answer his question. Can any of you guru's help out?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay, since no "gurus" stepped up I'll tell you what I have found on this subject previously...

There is a Chrysler part number and a date code on the black painted end of the starter. The date code is the assembly date. There are usually two or three digits: 59 = 5th week of 1969 or 159 = 15th week of 1969. This is all I have ever seen on the subject.

Also, when looking for a date-coded starter it is helpful to note that the 1970 and later units have exposed bolts that hold the white porcelain solenoid end to the starter body. The 1969 and earlier don't. Makes it easier to eyeball a potential candidate at the swap meet...

:jester:
ACME

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
Okay, since no "gurus" stepped up I'll tell you what I have found on this subject previously...

There is a Chrysler part number and a date code on the black painted end of the starter. The date code is the assembly date. There are usually two or three digits: 59 = 5th week of 1969 or 159 = 15th week of 1969. This is all I have ever seen on the subject.

Also, when looking for a date-coded starter it is helpful to note that the 1970 and later units have exposed bolts that hold the white porcelain solenoid end to the starter body. The 1969 and earlier don't. Makes it easier to eyeball a potential candidate at the swap meet...

ACME
You sound like a GURU :worship:

tom99

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
ACME A12 said:

ACME
You sound like a GURU :worship:

That's what I needed, Thank You!

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
:horshak:Ooo...ooo...ooo.... Mr Kotter... Mr Kotter:horshak:

http://www.iccahome.org/

Scroll down on the left side and click on date codes under MMC reference. On the next page, it'll be about 1/2 way down on the right.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, that's good stuff, Big!

I knew about the casting dates & spokes too...but skipped over it given the frame of reference for the original question. However, THAT is a great resource for understanding date codes...on a LOT of different stuff...and most importantly it has PICTURES which we all know are worth a thousand words... :thumbsup:

Any post that works in a Horshak reference is a Five-Star post anyway... :lol:

tom99

Reaction score
Big John said:
:horshak:Ooo...ooo...ooo.... Mr Kotter... Mr Kotter:horshak:

http://www.iccahome.org/

Scroll down on the left side and click on date codes under MMC reference. On the next page, it'll be about 1/2 way down on the right.

Great site, thanks!! :beep:

Back