• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter Recommendation for stock 383

Barry L

Reaction score
The starter on my '69 383 is slowly on its way out. Not sure if it was re-built when the engine was overhauled in '88 and it's been intermittent at times lately. I'd like to either rebuild it or replace it. Have seen the Powermaster OEM high-torque starter listed on Mancini's website and was considering that as a replacement.
Any advice from members?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have one of these on one of my cars also. The Powermaster 3257 is dimensionally the same as a factory starter.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Or... You can just fix the starter you have.

99% of the time, a intermittent problem is either the contact in the starter or the clutch drive. See the stud for battery power in this drawing? The contact on the other end wears out. That's if it engages, but doesn't turn.

If it turns, but doesn't turn the engine, it's the drive.

Also! If it doesn't do anything occasionally, it could be the starter relay. To check that, you just jump the starter connections on the relay with an old screw driver.

R0cHM6Ly93d3cuYWxscGFyLmNvbS9waG90b3MvdmltYWdlcy9tb3Bhci1waG90b3Mvc3RhcnRlcnMvMDEuZ2lm&l=$imgRef.gif

Here's the piece you need. They aren't as easy to come by as they used to be, but they're out there.

s-l500.jpg

The other part that breaks is the starter drive. You can buy those almost anywhere.

2K1019__ra_p.jpg

Barry L

Reaction score
Th
Or... You can just fix the starter you have.

99% of the time, a intermittent problem is either the contact in the starter or the clutch drive. See the stud for battery power in this drawing? The contact on the other end wears out. That's if it engages, but doesn't turn.

If it turns, but doesn't turn the engine, it's the drive.

Also! If it doesn't do anything occasionally, it could be the starter relay. To check that, you just jump the starter connections on the relay with an old screw driver.

View attachment 28980

Here's the piece you need. They aren't as easy to come by as they used to be, but they're out there.

View attachment 28981

The other part that breaks is the starter drive. You can buy those almost anywhere.

View attachment 28982
an

Barry L

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I’ll look into trying to find the contact parts. I’m sure they’re worn out as I really don’t ever remember rebuilding the starter.

Barry L

Reaction score
I have one of these on one of my cars also. The Powermaster 3257 is dimensionally the same as a factory starter.
Thanks, I’m going to try and find the contact parts for it. If no luck with that, I’ll probably buy the one from Mancini

Barry L

Reaction score
Disassembled my starter and everything looked okay. Ended up taking it to a local starter shop and they found the field and armature were bad. Final bill was only 92 bucks so I still have my original starter. It should last long after I’m gone.

taguy16

Reaction score
I got mine rebuilt at the local auto electric shop, too. I also had the alternator done, too, by him. The guy we have doing this here in town is really good at it and my preference is to have him rebuild what I have rather than take my chances on something "rebuilt" from a parts store. I got burned on an alternator that I got at autozone that quit charging, and once you get stranded out in the middle of nowhere at night with a bad alternator like I did you learn pretty fast not to trust parts store electrical parts like starters and alternators.

droptop

Reaction score
If you have headers, I would go with the mini starter. They handle the heat better and a lot easier to get on and off with headers. If stock exhaust manifolds, stay with the stock type starter. :2cents:

mr4speed

Reaction score
If your running headers and have to change a starter which is a PIA to fix. Most definitly change to a shorter length starter!

IMG_0001.jpg

RKNRLR

Reaction score
I got a starter form these blokes in New Zealand, came across them by accident while looking for roadrunner starters online. The name of their business is actually Roadrunner Starters.
I found they knew alot more about starters than me, and could recommend something from their lineup for any particular application. I wanted something with a bit more pepper to prepare for the new tunnel ram setup, which by all accounts is not he easiset thing to start on a cold morning.

I also liked that you could call up and actually speak to the person who is making the starters, not just some snooty young sales rep.

https://www.roadrunner-starters.com/

Back