• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Starter wont turn!!!

Bill Monk

Reaction score
New to the site but not to Mopar, had em when you couldn't give em away, now you have to mortgage the house! I'm stumped on this one people so here goes:

69 roadrunner, original 383, now with a 440 6bbl. Original 4 speed car, still is. Just bought this car and already loosing more hair. Starter would not attempt to turn the flywheel. It just made a single pop when the solenoid kicks in and it engages the flywheel. Battery is good, grounds are good to block and firewall and both battery cables are new but still cleaned connections. Thought for sure it was the starter since it was starting fine and then suddenly stopped. I replaced the starter with a mini starter and I still have the exact same thing...a single solid pop when the solenoid does it's thing but the starter doesn't turn the engine. Yes, I turned the engine by hand and it isn't locked up. Help a brother out!!!!

Coyote

Reaction score
Try a load test on the battery. It may have an internal problem under load. Good luck, let us know.

Bill Monk

Reaction score
Thanks but it does the same when I jump it so unlikely. This one is making me nuts

dmartin

Reaction score
Have you checked the starter itself or the bendix what about the connections to the battery and the ones to the starter it usually is something simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

droptop

Reaction score
Did you test the new starter before installing? Just because it is new does not make it good.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It really sounds like a bad connection at the battery, starter or ground or a bad cable.

You can do a voltage drop test on the cables to check that. http://www.aa1car.com/library/voltage_drop_testing.htm

I'd also check the voltage at the battery when the starter engages. If it drops way off, it's a battery issue.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hello what the heck. May be a bad ground to the motor. Have you jumped the starter relay to see if it was bad. Had a tractor that we looked every where and it was the ground at the motor not making good connection. Also had bad relay jumped the post with a big wire. Well take the starter out and see if it turns while hooked up to the system. Yes one small thing will drive you crazy had a bad battery one time the head light's would come on but not enough power to turn the motor over week cell. I don't trust jumper's put a new battery in and try that. Hope you find what is the matter and surely let us know. Russ.:cartman:

Bill Monk

Reaction score
Thanks to all, I didn't play with it yesterday. I'll tackle it again this evening.

Ranger

Reaction score
Thanks but it does the same when I jump it so unlikely. This one is making me nuts

Jumping a battery with a dead cell won't accomplish anything and you'll get the same result. Follow Big John's advice and either do a load test or swap out (or bypass) the battery for a known good one to eliminate it as the problem.

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I was looking for a better way to explain voltage drop and found this.

[video=youtube;DfLyh43iihM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLyh43iihM[/video]

Bill Monk

Reaction score
Ran the voltage drop test and found the primary battery cable was dropping 7 volts under load! The cable looked new, but that goes to show test everything first and save yourself a lot of time and trouble! Special shout out to Big John for posting that video. Note to everybody, watch this video and buy a good multimeter!

Bill Monk

Reaction score
I was looking for a better way to explain voltage drop and found this.

[video=youtube;DfLyh43iihM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfLyh43iihM[/video]

Ran the voltage drop test and found the primary battery cable was dropping 7 volts under load! The cable looked new, but that goes to show test everything first and save yourself a lot of time and trouble!
Thanks for posting this video man, I appreciate you

dmartin

Reaction score
It always is something simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Glad you found the problem. It always the last thing you would think it is. Give big John an big atta boy sound's like he's been their before.:applouse:

Back