• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Stealth Regulator

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I wanted the advantages of an electronic voltage regulator but didn't want to use a later style "dual field" alternator and a newer style regulator. Its right up where you see it with the hood up, so I also wanted it to have an original look to it, but I really don't care about the date code or that kind of stuff.

I found this regulator, Duralast VR706, at Autozone. It had the same mounting, and connections were in the same spot, but its a little short.

2008_1010Stuff0008.jpg

I had an old regulator so I took the cover off, trimed the side mounting tabs off with some tin snips and filed the edges down. I also sandblasted and painted it with black Rustoleam.

2008_1010Stuff0009.jpg

The cover fits down real nice over the new regulator. A little bit of JB Weld epoxy and there ya go.

2008_1010Stuff0010.jpg

I could have pryed the cover off the new regulator and got the other cover to fit, but I think it wouldn't look as nice.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
that looks great Big. My car has one of those regulaters on it. I'll be on the lookout for an original to do that to mine.

Back