• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering Box.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just got a new one for 174.00. The old one did adjust but it felt funny like it was grinding. Only a half a turn took the slop out. But after much thought said what if. So figured I only want to do this once. Skinning knuckles and sore muscles and all don't want to do this again for a while. :thumbsup2:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Where did you get the box from Russ? I'm thinking about replacing my clapped out box, got abit too much slop for my liking.
Replaced all other front end components while the engine was out. Now the box feels sloppy as. I think the negative slop of the other older components was compensating, making it not feel as bad as it actually is.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Sorry RKNRLR Just don't remember where I got it was surfing on line and found they had two new not rebuilt left standard box. Not the crazy gearing quick turn ratio. Let me look and see if I can find the bill. I know that it was a good price.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Went through all my bill's and did not find the one for the steering box. You know we try to keep thing's together but have been pushing the build. Might have gotten burned when cleaning the shop. Like you and the rest we buy thing's all over and not just one place. I will keep my eyes open for it.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
Manual box?
Those are very easy to clean up .
Two seals are available.
Usually only need taking apart and cleaning.
Grease is packed in on overhauling.
Gear oil is not what goes in them.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes but mine was worn out after 50 year's and a new one did not cost that much. The adjustment screw had been done till their was not enough to take up the slack and felt a grinding in it. So get a new one and be done with it.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
How can these 2 steering boxes be almost identical, have exactly the same description, but be so far apart in price? I get it, the first one looks like a cheap chinese knock off, but 3x the price?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1966-19...964833?hash=item216c10db61:g:qJ8AAOSwPeBeXvnX

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Flaming...685566&hash=item445e426e69:g:D2sAAOSwXLFfA-gN

And to make it worse, the 2nd one is available locally stocked, but for an extra $500. Man these parts dealers over here really know how to slug you.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It say flaming river. Their your paying for a name. I looked out side E bay and found mine. They had limited ones in stock. Try 1A auto parts. and see. I googled by typing in steering box for 68-70 Plymouth roadrunner. Good luck RKNRLR.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Ended up going with the flaming river box, really don't trust the Chinese stuff.
The new box feels great, no more slop before the car actually started to steer. Engagement also comes on quicker. Ratio is 16:1, definitely makes it easier in the turns. Lock to lock while standing still though is somewhat harder. Not too bad a trade off if you ask me.

Russ Hood

Reaction score
I gotta get one myself. I replaced all the front end parts.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey Russ Hood have you checked the adjustment screw on the top. Sure you have but had to ask. Mine did not have any adjustment left at all. This could be the case with yours also thought I would ask. Found mine on the net but just can't find where I got it. Sorry guy's just have to search the net I guess. Good luck to all. :(

Russ Hood

Reaction score
Hey Russ Hood have you checked the adjustment screw on the top. Sure you have but had to ask. Mine did not have any adjustment left at all. This could be the case with yours also thought I would ask. Found mine on the net but just can't find where I got it. Sorry guy's just have to search the net I guess. Good luck to all. :(

Yea i did. Wish that was the issue

Back