• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering column help

keeterweb

Reaction score
I'm trying to reassemble my steering column being painted. I should have taken a bunch of pictures when taking it apart but i didn't. I have it together but i don't think it it right. It is a 69 with auto column shift. The hub that holds the turn signal switch and the hub the holds the shifter are loose even when the steering wheel is tightened. Are there suppose to be square bolts that attach the hub to the column? There was a spring washer that goes on before the hub for the shifter goes on. Is there suppose to be a spacer that goes with it? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes, there are supposed to be square bolts. I have found it easier to reassemble if the column is held in a vise in the vertical position. Tighten the square bolts slowly, evenly, back and forth from one side to the other. Otherwise one side will bite and the other will not. This is probably the source of your loose hub. I went through this myself last year... Here's a good article with pics.

https://moparconnectionmagazine.com...-restoration-turn-signal-switch-installation/

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I had mine together. and was trying to slide the coupler on to the steering box. Went into the car and slapped the steering wheel thinking it would make it slide on better. After getting every thing tight and bolted up went and turned the steering wheel and that part with the blinker arm moved. So pulled my steering wheel and aligned that piece up and did tighten those blots again and it was fine. Mine is not column shift but should be close to the same set up. Wish you luck those bolts are funny. Like ACME A12 say do each a little at a time.

keeterweb

Reaction score
I found the bolts and put them on. Everything tightened right up and now it’s all together. Thank you for the help.

AF93A7C3-5BFD-471E-851E-C924D5A0A714.jpeg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Look's grate. How far are you along on the build. I will have to check out your garage and look. Keep up the work look's like your getting her done. :thumbsup2: I learned one thing for sure don't hit on the steering wheel. LOL.

Last edited:
Back