• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stuck shifter

69roadrunnertail

Reaction score
On the way to a car show my 69 was stuck in gear when we stopped for fuel. After removing the shift boot we were not able to see why the shifter was binding. We unhooked the shift linkage and were able to eliminate the tranny as the cause. Most shops we contacted were already closed or full but we were able to find a car guy at a tire shop who put the car on the lift. He said that the shifter should be rebuilt and there was a kit with new brass bushings that would take the slop out. He got it working (roughly), and said if I take it easy it would probably get me home. I got on the freeway and the same thing happened next time I tried to downshift out of high gear. Anybody heard of this? I was thinking about a new shifter but don't know which. All I know is its a 440 with a Hurst 4 speed. Help!?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I have had this happen. I had a Ford with a Hurst shifter, and it was constantly getting jammed. I carried a small hammer and would have to tap it to get it unjammed. I was too busy chasing a blonde to fix it right. I also had a '73 road runner that would do it occasionally.I'd pull the shifter boot off, and oil the shifter, and it would be fine for months. IIRC, some shifters have a grease fitting for just this reason.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Think it is time for a rebuild of the shifter. Not that costly. Don't use the plastic in it get the metal ones. It will last longer. The plastic shifted smother but did not last that long. The metal bushing's will do better put graphite grease on them. :kartman: Yep now for a cold one!!!!!!

Coyote

Reaction score
I’ve never had a problem using plastic bushings on a Hurst. Last one worked for 16 years (used when I got it) of Tri5: autoX, moderate drag racing, cruising, roadtrips. Took entire assembly out replaced withTremec 5 gear.

The 4gear and antique Hurst now functioning fine in Stupidbaker, MOPAR Hurst and 833 replaced by Passon 5gear. Never had a problem with it either.

We did freshen up the Hurst in Qbirds RR several years ago. The Lord only knows how hard it was used before he got it!

Most Hurst issues in my experience are from improper adjustment and cobbled installations.:bananahit::beep:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
there usually is a alignment hole in the shifter that you would insert a 1/4" rod or drill bit into to line up the shifter. put it in neutral and disconnect the shift rods and insert 1/4" rod. adjust length of shift rods to trans so they just slide in. remove 1/4" rod.

vso737

Reaction score
On the way to a car show my 69 was stuck in gear when we stopped for fuel. After removing the shift boot we were not able to see why the shifter was binding. We unhooked the shift linkage and were able to eliminate the tranny as the cause. Most shops we contacted were already closed or full but we were able to find a car guy at a tire shop who put the car on the lift. He said that the shifter should be rebuilt and there was a kit with new brass bushings that would take the slop out. He got it working (roughly), and said if I take it easy it would probably get me home. I got on the freeway and the same thing happened next time I tried to downshift out of high gear. Anybody heard of this? I was thinking about a new shifter but don't know which. All I know is its a 440 with a Hurst 4 speed. Help!?

I don't think this will help you, but I will tell my story in the event it will help. I have a '69 RR with a 1977 TF A727 "TCI" Street Fighter manual/auto. The shifter is a "B&M" Quick Silver floor shift. On one of my many VB removals, I shifted out of FIRST gear with the VB removed. After I put everything back together, the SHIFTER was STUCK and would NOT move at all. I took the boot off and quickly realized that the RATCHET was all the way to the end. Some careful fiddling with it allowed the ratchet to release and work back as normal. It was a matter of releasing the tension and getting the ratchet to work again. I learned NOT to mess with the shifter if it is NOT hooked up to the VB. "LIVE AND LEARN"...........

LG,
Mike

Back