• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sucking gas out????

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I filled my tank today and it's leaking like a sieve!

I thought it may have been coming from the sending unit since I just reinstalled it, but it's coming from somewhere on the top right hand side of the tank... I can't spot it with the tank installed. Leaks like a mother when driving, but stops about 15 minutes after parking.

Anyway, I'm gonna get a new tank and straps this week, however I need to get all the gas out first. What's the best syphon to use for this????? All I have is one of those tiny syphons for lawn mowers....

:brickwall:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
The best way is use an electric fuel pump and some rubber hose, but that's not always practical.

The last time I did this, I jacked the back of the car up as high as I could and stuck a 5' length of heater hose in the tank. I pushed it in as far as I could, trying to keep the hose in the gas. Then I stuck my thumb over the end of the hose to seal it and pulled it out a bit and put the end down into the bucket and pulled my thumb off. It takes a couple tries, but it works.

The lawn mower syphon will work, it just takes a little longer.

Take a look at the vents before you change the tank... I think they are in the upper right corner.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I changed my tank last year, as well as the sending unit. The old unit leaked only when the tank was full, or with the front end lower then the rear. It was leaking from around one of the vent tubes that are part of the sending unit. As long as I didn't fill it to the top, I didn't have a problem. Chris, is that tank original to the car? I remember that on the '41 Plymouth I had, which at the time was about 40 years old, like our cars now, was leaking gas from the tank. I took it our and found about 20 small rust through holes on the top of the tank. This could be a similar problem.

John69RR

Reaction score
It might also be the rubber fuel line from the sender to the line. I've had good luck with the electric pump and a 5 gallon can. At least you can siphon these tanks. You can't siphon the newer cars or trucks.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Yeah it's the original tank as far as I know. Although I know it's been out of the car since a previous owner used rubber floor mats as a squeak mat for the tank.

I crawled under there yesterday as it was leaking. It's definitely not coming from the sending unit (which is new). There is a slight leak coming from a blocked return line (no big deal.

There's also a red wire that mysteriously disappears over the top of the tank. There was an after market fuel gauge in the car when I bought it, so I'm assuming there's a second sending unit, which could be a culprit. Either way, I'm dying to see where that wire leads to. :lol:

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Just ordered the tank and straps from Rock Auto. I can get the pad from Dante's, but are there any crafty alternatives to buying one, maybe something from Home Depot? I remember reading a thread on Moparts a while ago where guys were using something from the home centers....

wannarunner

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
Just ordered the tank and straps from Rock Auto. I can get the pad from Dante's, but are there any crafty alternatives to buying one, maybe something from Home Depot? I remember reading a thread on Moparts a while ago where guys were using something from the home centers....

Roofing paper, Tar paper, Builders paper(felt) Etc.....several names for it, basically its tar (asphalt) impregnated felt (waterproof) that builders put under roof shingles and is very similiar to what the factory put on top of the tank.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
When I first pulled my tank there was nothing between it and the trunk floor. And I didn't put anything in between when I installed the new tank. It's in tight and there are no squeaks. Will that become a problem?

mac

What ?
Reaction score
one of the vent tubes inside my tank (the on that goes all the way to the rear on the inside) dropped down into the tank. so when the tank was full it would push the gas out of the vent until i would open the gas cap and let the pressure out.

droptop

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:

I just bought this pad for the convertible from Vans Auto. Not listed on their web site, but they do have them in stock and ready to ship for $18.

http://www.vansauto.com

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I looked at Vans tanks last year at The Nats. $125 was a good price. just wonder how they'll hold up/ They;ve been running a couple big color ads in MCG.

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I ordered and paid for bench seat hinge covers for the scamp from Year One 6 months ago and they still haven't come in. I think I'm going to call them today and have them ship me a tank pad instead and credit me the rest....

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Yanked the tank. This duct taped mess could be the culprit of the leak....

0312091525.jpg

Looks like the after market sending unit installed by a previous owner started leaking as there were no other holes or even rust on the tank.
0312091525a.jpg

And the tank mats, rubber Geo floor mats, lol
0312091531.jpg

OK, I have a question. There was a return line blocked off with a section of rubber hose and a screw plugging the end (which started leaking recently). What would be a better way of blocking the return line? Something more bullet proof...

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the floor mats aren't that bad, but the sender...yikes!

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, this little gadget worked like a CHARM!!!!!!!!! $7 at Lowes.

Just insert one end, shake it and the fuel starts flowing. I was able to fill a 5 gallon bucket in about three minutes! I used it all day emptying the runners tank and topping off my families cars, lol

it's not letting me post the link.

It's called the Wonder Pump... Google it!

mcmopar

Reaction score
Plymouthfan said:
Yanked the tank. This duct taped mess could be the culprit of the leak....

0312091525.jpg

Looks like the after market sending unit installed by a previous owner started leaking as there were no other holes or even rust on the tank.
0312091525a.jpg

And the tank mats, rubber Geo floor mats, lol
0312091531.jpg

OK, I have a question. There was a return line blocked off with a section of rubber hose and a screw plugging the end (which started leaking recently). What would be a better way of blocking the return line? Something more bullet proof...

That's a fine bit on engineering right there! :loco:

Plymouthfan

Reaction score
I installed the tank yesterday and got everything hooked up with no issues or leaks. The only thing I was wondering about were the straps. There's two areas where the straps kind of bow out just before the front and rear edge of the tank. Was there a trick to getting them flat against the tank all the way around? New straps come flat except for the front section... it's difficult to get the rear sections to form neatly around the tank :huh:

Back