• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tape Deck Parts

Ranger

Reaction score
Unsure of what forum to post this in so I'm going with electrical.

I have the AM/8 Track tape option. I just located an 8 track tape from a neighbor to try it out. Radio works, but the tape doesn't. I can hear the motor running, but no music. Tried a second tape to rule out a bad tape. Same result. I then marked the tape and tried again. The tape did not move so I'm pretty sure the drive belt is broken. Pretty sure I can repair it if I can locate a drive belt. Anyone have any suggestions?

Ranger

Reaction score
I just had a thought that I'd like to pass by anyone who knows more about how an 8 track operates. I do not want to play tapes. My intent is to use a Kraco cassette adapter, but instead of playing cassettes, I would use my Belkin cassette adapter to run my Ipod. The Ipod gets plugged into the Belkin cassette adapter and that cassette gets inserted into the Kraco, which then gets inserted into the 8 track tape player. So since there is no tape to be run past the heads, does it matter if the belt is broken or not?

th?id=OIP.M9aae79543ad2dff579039a9bb6022af6o0&pid=15.jpg<<<<<<<<th?id=OIP.Mc332f55fb457d1dc3488b3a1387659d9o0&pid=15.jpg <<<<<<<<th?id=OIP.M3f7b1eff452d0d5f12e6b3c5b3fc1485o0&pid=15.jpg

Last edited:

Photon440

Reaction score
That does sound like a lot of extra steps with an audio downgrade each time. Is this the only source of music in your car? If you have an FM radio you'd get better sound by plugging an FM transmitter into your iPod. But no, you wouldn't need a running belt in your example.

Ranger

Reaction score
FANTASTIC! Now I don't have to remove, disassemble and (attempt to) reassemble the radio. No FM. The 8 track option only came with AM (mostly talk radio, a few Spanish stations and one Polish station). Good to know that I don't need the working drive belt. For $15 or so I think I'll give the Kraco a shot. Even if it is a fail, it's not a big loss.

Last edited:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
and just what is wrong with a Polish station? :toetap::toetap::toetap::jester: I know what you mean about AM. used to be some good stations. when I got my car, it had an AM * Track (from a C Body), and when I hooked it up, couldn't believe how AM had changed.

Ranger

Reaction score
Well Photon, you are correct. It DOES work..............with a few drawbacks. If I go full left or right on the balance you just get distortion, but that's no problem as no one would listen to it like that any way. Full front or rear is no problem. I believe the tone wheel (bass/treble) is the same. Again no problem as I'll just keep it balanced. Same with the volume, can't go full. We'll just have to see if it's loud enough when driving with the windows down and the pipes rumbling. Also the music can go in and out if the cassette (8 track) is not seated just right.

I got it on Ebay for $10 so all in all, I'd call it a success.

Last edited:
Back