• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

TF 727 oil pump O ring

vso737

Reaction score
Does the transmission have to be in a vertical position to remove the oil pump housing. I need to replace the cover O ring and the input shaft seal.

Also, what if anything should the O ring be coated with.

Any suggestions highly appreciated.

Thank you in advance,
LG,
Mike

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
It doesn't have to be, but it's a zillion times easier. The rotating assembly kind of falls out otherwise and you'll end up finding it's a zillion times easier to tip it up on end when you go to put it the rotating assembly back in.

I've seen guys cut holes in benches and stuff like that. Make something up out of 2x4s and scrap wood or maybe figure out how to hang it from an engine stand. I've even assembled them with someone balancing it on the tail shaft. I don't recommend that though.

I've always just smeared a little tranny fluid on the gaskets when putting it together. I'm a little anal about contaminating trans fluid, but that's part of my OCD. Others probably use some sort of evil grease or snot or whatever... I use trans fluid and I'm happy.

Also... you can use a length of chain and a couple long bolts to pull the pump instead of a slide hammer if you don't have one. Take the chain and screw a bolt with a washer through a link and into those one of those two tapped holes. Make a comfortable loop and another bolt and washer into the other hole. Now use the chain like a slide hammer. The pump comes out pretty easy.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ive known guys that use Vaseline on the pump o-ring but I'm with John on polluting the ATF

vso737

Reaction score
Once again, you guys don't let me down. THANK YOU for the quick response.................

I just saw an oil pump like the one I have on EBAY and the vendor identifies it as being an A727 from 1971 to 1977. No wonder the front seal I purchased for a 1969 RR did not match mine. The one I have has a flange. Now, hopefully tomorrow, I will locate the pump gasket and "O" ring.

My tranny is a TCI Street Fighter; cable shifting with a B & M Quick-Silver floor shifter-with a 2400 stall TCI T/C. I LOVE the set up.......................I DO NOT RACE IT AND BABY IT.....................lol

I purchased a slide hammer from H/F today that removes seals and will work great on this pump. ONLY cost $25 US and you can't beat it for that price.

CONFIRMING that I DO NOT need to open up the transmission and all that is needed is for the transmission to be standing up VERTICALLY to keep anything from coming forward. Kind of what the guy I spoke with from TCI was trying to tell me...........I should have asked him more about it at the time but I was not planning on replacing the "O" ring at the time. NOW, after all the work getting this 'monster' out of the car.............there's no way I will put it back together without replacing the seal and the O ring.

The culprit was the T/C and TCI was HONORABLE enough to replace it even though it was out of warranty. I ONLY put 1,107 miles on the new tranny and matching T/C.............

I also took advantage, since I had the tranny out, to remove the LONG Hooker headers and have them SILVER CERAMIC coated. Just dropped them off today. They will NOW keep the engine compartment much COOLER and will dress up the engine compartment.

As far as the front seal removal. Has anyone ever used the flat seal removal tool with the pointed ends. I will see if I can get away with using it............the input shaft would be in the way but it may work. I will know soon enough..........

Sounds like the idea of using 2X4's to make some sort of a stand will work just fine.......................

THANKS AGAIN and I will let you guys know how it comes out in the event someone out there has to follow me on this one..............

LG,
Mike

vso737

Reaction score
DONE DEAL.................
Thanks to all for the great advise. I made a table to suspend the transmission. The H/F slide hammer worked great after some adaptations to it. The flat seal puller I had worked great in removing the seal. Hammering the new one in was a challenge but got done OK. As usual, nothing goes 100% with any of my projects. I lost one of the pump housing bolts so I went to the local Dodge dealer and purchased a couple of new ones.
Once I get the headers back from having them heat treated with 'silver ceramic' coating, I can start putting everything back together. The Hooker long headers will ONLY go in without the transmission mounted and even then it is a very difficult fit.

Attached are some pictures of the work.

Thanks again,
LG,
Miketrans 49.jpgtrans 52.jpgtrans 52.jpgtrasn 47.jpg

trans 49.jpg

trans 52.jpg

trasn 47.jpg

Back