• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

the blue KS bird

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
starting my thread for restore. Starting out with the interior. Lower dash pad which has the wiper switch, lights, dome and washer buttons. Some fool spraypainted the soft vinyl padding black. I am currently in the process of removing it with a magic eraser pad and a water/mr clean mixture. Vinyl is looking pretty good under the black.. a nice blue something like thisssssss. Once I get it cleaned up Ill take and post a pic of it. shame some idiot decided to make his interior black with spraypaint rather than buying an actual dash pad that was black.... infuriates me.. :soap: .... but at the same time, it saves me hunting for an original blue dash pad.. O and he spraypainted the glove box door black too.. amazed this person had enough sense to remove the chrome glove box push button before painting it, but still!~!!? why paint those pretty blue pads black!!?!!! its just stupid!

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
update, I think I killed the battery today from moving the car 50 yards to my front driveway from its storage in the barn. It makes a really bad clicking noise and wont turn over the flywheel, project is off to a great start :facepalm:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
well someone put a blue pad in mine, and painted it black. I still can't believe they took out the green. but at least everything else inside is new, and I always liked black interior. good luck on your project, and as always.... :red2:

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
did i mention the paint was very cheap and sticky to the touch? very quick and messy job was done on it.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
the pad that was painted on mine, the one under the cluster, was stickey for about a year after I got the car. not real bad, just noticable.

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
almost got the paint off entirely, going to buy some vinyl cleaner and restorers if they make those. blue is nice and I think its got potential. I removed the 1968 383 from my beat down old charger today. Going to start tearing it down and prepping the block for a rebuild, then eventually dropping it in the Roadrunner. :drool:

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
dash pads are coming along, I get so into doing this stuff i forget that i need to take pics! took the dash cluster out last night and disassembled it entirely for cleaning. sad thing is the alternator gauge is shot. sometime in the past someone stripped the black cable post threads. They still managed to get the nut all the way on, at the same time the thin metal assembly is twisted to hell and gone. as soon as I can get the bolt out I will buy a new gauge. otherwise all the gauges are cleaned, dashpad is almost there, going to look at the main dash frame to see if it is black or blue originally. someone told me the dash frames are usually the same color as the lower pads. I can see some paint drip evidence on it and its rough in places so im guessing it was all dark blue at some point.

P.S. I like this avatar -> :leg:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
KS69RdRnnr said:
dash pads are coming along, I get so into doing this stuff i forget that i need to take pics! took the dash cluster out last night and disassembled it entirely for cleaning. sad thing is the alternator gauge is shot. sometime in the past someone stripped the black cable post threads. They still managed to get the nut all the way on, at the same time the thin metal assembly is twisted to hell and gone. as soon as I can get the bolt out I will buy a new gauge. otherwise all the gauges are cleaned, dashpad is almost there, going to look at the main dash frame to see if it is black or blue originally. someone told me the dash frames are usually the same color as the lower pads. I can see some paint drip evidence on it and its rough in places so im guessing it was all dark blue at some point.

That's Basket cases ankle biter :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
KS69RdRnnr said:
going to look at the main dash frame to see if it is black or blue originally. someone told me the dash frames are usually the same color as the lower pads. I can see some paint drip evidence on it and its rough in places so im guessing it was all dark blue at some point.

Robin, per Gunnar's "Decode This" thread from when he was looking at buying your car at the same time that you were, your RR has the B7 Medium Blue Metallic Interior. The dash frame was originally blue. Mine is equipped the same way FWIW. Please see attached color chart. Should be the suede 13157 dark blue. Hope this helps.

Ray

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... r-pg02.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
KS69RdRnnr said:
going to look at the main dash frame to see if it is black or blue originally. someone told me the dash frames are usually the same color as the lower pads. I can see some paint drip evidence on it and its rough in places so im guessing it was all dark blue at some point.

Robin, per Gunnar's "Decode This" thread from when he was looking at buying your car at the same time that you were, your RR has the B7 Medium Blue Metallic Interior. The dash frame was originally blue. Mine is equipped the same way FWIW. Please see attached color chart. Should be the suede 13157 dark blue. Hope this helps.

Ray

http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.aspx?i ... r-pg02.jpg
That happens to be where I ordered my paint from :thumbsup: I found even I can shoot suede paint :D

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
That's Basket cases ankle biter :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:[/quote]

:snowball:

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
sanded and repainted the lower switch bezel, had a nasty scratch from left to right, got it looking better. this weekend when i get home from work I will start tossing up some pics for enjoyment :basketcase:

KS69RdRnnr

Procrastinator V8
Reaction score
pics!! dash restore pics i took just now!
just picture my original dash pad color as spraypainted black, and the lower metal bezel was scratched and paint was coming off. enjoy :drool: and that circuit board is a repair using conductive adhesive copper tape, the existing trace was fried, so i cut out the old copper and replaced it. hope it works. Ive got some touchup work to do on the bezel.
DSC00118.jpg

DSC00117.jpg

DSC00116.jpg

DSC00115.jpg

DSC00114.jpg

DSC00113.jpg

DSC00112.jpg

DSC00111.jpg

Back