• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The first time I saw a muscle car in Ukraine

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I hate to tell you this but that camero is not a Muscle car!!! It is a Pony car! However,it is a nice Camero.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
I hate to tell you this but that camero is not a Muscle car!!! It is a Pony car! However,it is a nice Camero.
Quite true on the pony aspect, which brings up where the line in the sand gets fuzzy. Same camero with a 427 or a cuda with a hemi, muscle? Or a pony with a heck of big power plant. :groucho:

gunnar

Reaction score
Please tell me what is the definition of a pony car? Is it determined by wheelbase? Horsepower? Weight? I really don't know.

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Even though Camaro, Cuda, Challenger, Mustang has been considered muscle cars they fall into the Pony Car classification. The term Pony Car was started back in the mid 60's when ford introduced the Mustang. True Muscle cars are usually large bodied two door hardtop with large cubic inch engines. The reason Camaros, Cudas, Challengers, and Mustangs are called muscle cars is infact because of the large cubic size engine that are in them. So I have to recant my original posting, pony cars are considerd muscle cars but not under the true definitions. Here is a good link below with a chart and classification.

Muscle Car definition - A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

Pony Car definition - In addition to fullsize and intermediate muscle cars, a number of smaller vehicles started appearing on the automotive performance scene. These new "pony cars" and compact cars are generally considered muscle cars only if they have the top of the line performance engines and options.

http://www.musclecarclub.com/musclecars ... tion.shtml :beep:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
4spd69RR said:
Muscle Car definition - A muscle car, by the strictest definition, is an intermediate sized, performance oriented model, powered by a large V8 engine, at an affordable price. Most of these models were based on "regular" production vehicles. These vehicles are generally not considered muscle cars, even when equipped with large V8s. If there was a high performance version available, it gets the credit, and not the vehicle that it was based on.

quote]

boy that sounds fiamiliar............ :beep: :lol:

4spd69RR

Reaction score
I have to agree with some of you on the Pony car issue. I have to say that there should be two strict classifications. I had a person with a Ford Pinto trying to suggest his car was a muscle car several years ago because he installed a 302 V8 in it.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I consider a Metropolitan with any kind of V8 installed to be Musclecar... :basketcase:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think at the end of the day what was under the hood when the car left the factory determines the car's status. While a '70 Barracuda with a leaning tower of power is certainly a Pony Car it is most assuredly not a Musclecar. Same for traditional Musclecars after the emasculation by the EPA & Insurance Industry began. You can call a '74 RR w/ a 318 a Musclecar all day long, but I ain't buying it... :loco:

:cents:
ACME

moparstuart

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
I consider a Metropolitan with any kind of V8 installed to be Musclecar... :basketcase:

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I think at the end of the day what was under the hood when the car left the factory determines the car's status. While a '70 Barracuda with a leaning tower of power is certainly a Pony Car it is most assuredly not a Musclecar. Same for traditional Musclecars after the emasculation by the EPA & Insurance Industry began. You can call a '74 RR w/ a 318 a Musclecar all day long, but I ain't buying it... :loco:

:cents:
ACME
what does a ford guy know anyway
:acme: :acme: :acme:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparstuart said:
what does a ford guy know anyway
:acme: :acme: :acme:

I'm just a car guy that happens to like old (as in real - not Daimler Nazi or Fix-It-Again-Tony/Government Motors) MoPars and new Mustangs. Deal with it. :D

:jester:

Back