• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Professor

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Russell Johnson, The Professor on Giligan's Island died today. I grew up watching that show, and never knew he was a decorated WWll vet. :flag:

During World War II, he enlisted to become an aviation cadet and rose to the officer's rank of First Lieutenant, under the service number 765 497. Flew as Bombadier in B-25 aircraft on a total of 44 combat missions over the Netherlands, East Indies, and the Phillipines. World War II decorations include the Bronze Star, Air Medal with Oak Leaf Cluster, Purple Heart, Good Conduct Medal, Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Medal with three service stars, Philippine Liberation Ribbon with one service star, and the World War II Victory Medal with Honorable Service Lapel Button. Earned his Purple Heart (for injuries during battle) when the B-24 Liberator bomber he was a crewman on was shot down during a bombing run against Japanese targets in the Philippine Islands in March 1945.
Enlisted in the United States Army in November 1942. Was assigned the service number 13 154 406 and served for two years, before being discharged in January 1944 to accept a commission as an officer.
Served for over twelve years as an officer of the Air Force, first as an active duty World War II bombardier (1944 - 1945) and then as an inactive member of the Officer Reserve Corps. Upon the creation of the U.S. Air Force, in the late 1940s, was augmented to the U.S. Air Force Reserve and briefly was a member of the 4th Air Reserve District in San Francisco. In 1953, became an inactive officer once again and received final discharge from the Air Force Reserve in August 1957.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
I to use to watch it but,not for the Professor.:groucho:

RIP Professor and thanks for the service you gave to our country.

Last edited:

gunnar

Reaction score
RIP Professor. He seemed too young in that show to have been through so much. I too grew up with that show.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I thought Dave Maden had already passed for some reason.

Back