• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This ever happen to you?

woodwiz

Reaction score
You are talking to someone who comes up to you in a parking lot or a stoplight and 3 to 1 they ask you if you have a 440 in it. I just nod sometimes and let them believe what they want or i tell them 383 super commando and their eyes get big. Is their a big difference in a 383 w/a 440 cam or the straight 440?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
440 has a longer stroke. More displacement. It would be hard for a 383 to show up a 440 in a race. Just my two cent's.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Yes Sir! That’s kinda how I saw it,I guess what I was getting at is...some people immediately think oh! Muscle car from the 60’s-70’s has a 440 or a Hemi. Like it’s the only motor on the planet. I’m just defending my 383 Super commando hp. Now that sounds pretty badass

V.R.D

Reaction score
tell them it a 440 hemi and smile see what they say then:moparsmiley::moparsmiley::moparsmiley:

nevada dan

Reaction score
Anymore it’s getting hard to find somebody to even talk to that know anything about them , and cars from the 30’s forget about it
Makes me feel old

woodwiz

Reaction score
Or really blow their minds and tell them it has a LS3,and their are lots of great Mopar folks on here that know a ton of stuff...AMEN

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine has GIANT decals on the hood that clearly state 440 6BBL...and I still get morons that ask what's under the hood... Anymore I just point or tell them to read what's on the hood. Life's too short for stoopid.

cosgig

Reaction score
Most people wouldn’t know what you were talking about, even if you tried to tell them. They have a memory in their minds, and that may be the only thing they remember about cars in the past. I’ve had this talk with a couple of people recently, and I tell them that I’m in the hobby, and that’s why I know the details. Most people have moved on in one direction or another, and that’s alright. I had a guy stop me in the Home Depot parking lot today, and he was admiring my car and telling me about his old favorite. I just let him talk and live his memory again, and if my car spurred that memory, it’s done it’s job. When he told me that his old 67 Mustang 289 was running 10’s, I just smiled and said yep!

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Most people wouldn’t know what you were talking about, even if you tried to tell them. They have a memory in their minds, and that may be the only thing they remember about cars in the past. I’ve had this talk with a couple of people recently, and I tell them that I’m in the hobby, and that’s why I know the details. Most people have moved on in one direction or another, and that’s alright. I had a guy stop me in the Home Depot parking lot today, and he was admiring my car and telling me about his old favorite. I just let him talk and live his memory again, and if my car spurred that memory, it’s done it’s job. When he told me that his old 67 Mustang 289 was running 10’s, I just smiled and said yep!
Used to live across the road from a real nice gentleman, in his 90"s. Would always come out and watch me reverse down the long driveway. Never got away with less than half an hour of him telling me stories from way back. Told me he had a real similar car, apparently it was a Chrysler Torquflight. Like you, I just smiled and let him enjoy whatever memories he had left.

Rapid Transit

Just A Traveler In Time
Reaction score
I had a girl ask "what year" at the gas pump last night.
"73"
"OMG , that car is gorgeous ".
And I smiled and proceeded to fill up for work today.
The joys of having A bodies for daily driver duties.

mr4speed

Reaction score
I usually get is that a general lee charger. I even had one guy ask me is that a CRX you cant fix stupid! Usually most people know except for the year its on the front plate. :praying: :beep::mad:

IMG_0001.jpg

Back