• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Cable Issue

taguy16

Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting the idle to stabilize in my '73 with a stock 400 engine that now is option free. I shortened the throttle return spring located in front of the Thermoquad carb. to give it plenty of tension but I'm still having trouble with the engine idle racing uncontrollably at times for no apparent reason. I'm wondering if there is supposed to be a throttle cable bracket in in back of the carb., because right now the cable goes right from the firewall (where it is fixed) to the carb. and the casing and inner wire which comes out of it right at the throttle lever on the carb seems to just kind of hang down with slack in it which doesn't look right to me. Maybe this is part or all of the problem.

Could someone please tell me or post a picture of what the throttle cable set-up should look like for and early 70's big block engine (with manual transmission and without cruise control)? Thank you.

Back