• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Throttle Cable Length and Removal

zupanj

Reaction score
I didn't think about the throttle cable until today when I tried to hook it up. The outter housing is too short because of the taller intake and the inner cable is too long because it is for a single four barrel in the center of the intake. I am trying to remove the cable and am having a bit of a problem. I thought it should just pull through the firewall once it is unhooked from the pedal assembly but it seems to be tight and it is not coming out. I wonder if I am missing something on this that is not obvious. I have pulled these before and don't remember any issues but of course that was forty years ago.

V269

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaking on my car there is a bracket bolted to the firewall that the cable goes through. You might want to look at that and take it off to see if the cable pulls free.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I haven't done this in years (on a b-body - a-bodies I do in my sleep) so I don't recall enough to provide a step-by-step solution...but I will say that this is exactly what the reference section is for...

:jester:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I do believe there is a black c clip that needs to be slid off for the interior side of the cable, then it should pull out.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
I do believe there is a black c clip that needs to be slid off for the interior side of the cable, then it should pull out.
There is a little plastic plug that fills the hole the cable comes out of :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
yeah, the plastic plug keeps the cable secured to the pedal linkage, but isn't there a clip that keeps the cable housing in place on the firewall(inside)?

zupanj

Reaction score
I have the cable disconnected from the inside, including the pedal mechanism and the C-clip at the firewall. Still it will not pull out. I sort of remember the plate on the outside firewall should come off but it hasen't shown any inclination to come off when I took the bolts off. The reference section didn't have any information that I could find.

Back