• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips for U-hauling the RR on car hauler?

woodwiz

Reaction score
Making the move to Tucson from Phoenix and i'm putting the car on the full size car hauler trailer which i'm pulling with their truck. Anyone have any tips other than the obvious ones or expierience with this rig and towing. Thanxs!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Lock the e brake. Chock the wheel's if possible. Plenty of tie strap's. After on the road for a little while stop and check all straps are tight. How long of a trip. Would not hurt to check strap's every now and then. Load's do find a way to work loose. Be safe buddy.

woodwiz

Reaction score
It’s 100mi down the I10 and yes I will be using the over the tire straps and setting the e-brake and blocking the wheels and doing a couple of stops to make sure I still have my bird. I will need a beer or 2 once I arrive and get her unloaded.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Thanxs fellows! Nice thing about being retired with the bird...No hurry till I punch it!!!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Something else came up about the securing of the car on the u-haul full size trailer. Just wondering the best application of the front and rear safety chain that comes on the U-hauler? Put that front one around the K member?
Rear one give it a wrap around the rear axle?...just need someone who has experience with these haulers.
Thanks in advance!!!

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I did haul an early Barracuda on a Uhaul trailer once and I felt their weakness was in their system of strapping down a car. I always use 4 straps from each corner of the car placed over the axles and secured to opposite corners of the trailer. Providing the straps you use are in good condition the car will not move under any fast stops, or any side to side movements you may have to make while driving. I would suggest you try and get some extra straps to tie the car down with.

Jack R

Reaction score
Every now and then use UHaul trailers, I have two 2” wide ratchet tie down straps for the rear and wrap them around the axle. I Never use the chain that comes with the trailer. The front straps on the UHaul are decent and the wheels sit in a well at front which helps.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Update on the Tucson trip with the bird...Made it fine! I think being a fairly heavy car helped as well. Made a couple stops to check it out after some rough road spots and it still down tight. Thanks U-haul and forum advice!!

woodwiz

Reaction score
Well I thought I said the car was being moved to Tucson from Phoenix. This car is not a Arizona car till I bought it. It is now...it likes low humidity and no rain.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
We use to live there, most of the extended family has left. Enjoy, I do like the setting and a good drag strip.

Al Fiandaca

Reaction score
Greetings from Marina, AZ . I’m about 13 miles west of the Tucson Mountains...

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Greetings from Marina, AZ . I’m about 13 miles west of the Tucson Mountains...
I know you have an air strip and airliner conversion place but what is the military looking complex in the same area? I tried driving into it and my wife got spooked and I had to turn around. LOL

Al Fiandaca

Reaction score
You must mean Pinal Airpark, about 5 miles north of me. Used to be military facility that repaired helicopters from what I remember, but military moved out and now is home to hundreds of parked 747s that are not worth operating during covid. Cool seeing some of those 747s coming in low over my house.

Back