• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too Lean?: Plug pictures

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Ok guys, so what do you think? I have been trying to tune my carb (Edlebrock 1406) and having some trouble getting it good when I first put my foot to the floor (initial hesitation), so I decided to pull two of the plugs today to take a look......

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Which holes did they come out of, in my opinion 1 looks good 2 is good to a tad lean. How long did it run and what conditions as in lots of idle time or hard running?

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Top pic is from #3, Bottom pick from #8. They have been in the car for prob 300-400 miles. I belive im at 37 Deg total timing. Most of the driving is around town (few highway)....

mac

What ?
Reaction score
here is a nice vid that should help.

[youtube:2624v8db]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fiMM2S0aADM[/youtube:2624v8db]

mcmopar

Reaction score
You are probably 1 to 2 jet sizes too lean. The ceramic portion should be tan, not white. It looks close but needs to be fattened up just a tiny bit.
The 2nd pic gives a good look at the grounding strap and shows the timing to be just right (the slightly darker band right about in the middle of the radius) but the base ring shows a slightly rich condition at idle.
Overall the plugs look good. Fatten up the cruise circuit with a bump of 1 jet size and check it again. If the ceramic is still white go up one more jet size. You are very close.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
reading your plugs should be done at WOT[wide open throttle]...then shut her down right away and pull the plugs to get a true reading

moparchris

Reaction score
What ignition do you have? A multi-spark unit will clean the plugs. I usually look for aluminum on the porcelin. Todays fuels dont color the plugs like the old fuels. I found if the plug has color its too rich. It should look like it came out of the box. Of course idling will color the plugs. A pump shot issue will not show up on the plugs.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
moparchris said:
Todays fuels dont color the plugs like the old fuels.

Today's fuels seem to have a hand in a number of issues...and none of them good that I can think of off the top of my head... :leave:

a6t9vette

Reaction score
Thanks for tall the input.... some anwsers the the questions and more info:

are the plugs indexed: no
Ignition is a Mopar Performance Dist with an Orange box (seems to be working well, knock on wood)

I drove the car (it was already hot from some previous driving) Drove for about 2.5 miles or so trying to keep the RPMs up pretty high all the way into the garage and shut it off right away (little if any idling)
The bottom plug was pulled right way #8 was prob the easiset but damn those heater hoses and exhaust manifolds are hot...... #3 was obviously cooler by the time I got to it.

Since im by no means a carb tech I did call Edlebrock for a little advise through out this. First suggestion was to change from the stock metering rods (7547), to new rods (7342) and pink step up springs, and after that if its still having the same prob to try and up to the .043 Nozzles. This had some improvement but the hesitation is still there. So they now suggested going to (7037) rods and natural color step up springs (they are sending these free it the mail so I havent tested yet). Per the calibration chart I started at the #1 spot (center) moved to the #23 (with the 7342 rods), and will now move to the #19 (which looks like a 1 in the upper right corver).

I have not made any changes to the Jets yet.....

mcmopar

Reaction score
I didn't remember it was an Edelbrock carb. I was thinking Holley. Sounds like the Edelbrock guys are on top of it. Metering rod changes may be enough to richen it up a bit. BTW does it run hot or is it running at a normal temp? If it's too lean it's going to be running a bit hotter than it should.

droptop

Reaction score
I hope you get your plugs figured out, but Mac, that avitar is wrong in so many ways. :loco: :loco: :loco:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
droptop said:
I hope you get your plugs figured out, but Mac, that avitar is wrong in so many ways. :loco: :loco: :loco:

X2. We've come to expect so much more from you... :puke:

mcmopar

Reaction score
:eek: :loco: :puke:
Let me edit this - the above comments were directed at the extreemely obese man who was flopping his man-boobs all over the place. That was just nasty!

meepbeep69

Reaction score
I think I went out with the thing on the avitar there. It was a match.com thing...41, athletic build, brunette, 5'5, minus the mustache of course.....ok i'll be nice.

moparchris

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
droptop said:

X2. We've come to expect so much more from you... :puke:

There is so much moving crap on his posts, I have flashbacks of Tokyo. :jester:

Back