• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Too Many Volts From Alternator

Rstockbridge

Reaction score
I just installed an MSD Atomic EFI system on my 70 RR. Everything seemed to be going smooth until we took it for a spin and started smelling burnt wires. We figured out that the alternator was putting out too many volts and causing the wire to heat up.

Any idea what the issue is?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I have read here on site to take it to the battery instead of running it through the wiring harness. The wires wont take the higher voltage. They are not larger enough to handle the higher voltage. If you have the alt gage or light think you will need a resistor to handle the load to the device. You might contact summit racing and see what they suggest. Hope this will help. If I am wrong someone will point it out. Nice looking car. Oh summit has a tech line.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What is the output at the alternator that caused you to deduce that the output was too great? I think you need to focus on the wires that were "burning" and provide more details before anyone here can really help you diagnose this. Sounds more like a short (pinched wire) somewhere to me...especially if this was not a problem prior to the installation of the EFI unit. Think cause and effect.

Rstockbridge

Reaction score
We took it strait to the battery and that seemed to have solved the issue. Thanks for your reply's

RKNRLR

Reaction score
had a similar issue recently, had a short in the alternator. as soon as id hook the battery back up id get big sparks, and smoke coming from the wiring harness on the firewall. maybe just check out your alternator is working 100% as well before taking any long trips.

Back