• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque shaft/Z bar question

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Does anyone have a part number or photo for the Z bar I should have on my 68 RR/383? One problem after another after getting so close to done. Looks like the Z bar I used or the clutch fork is incorrect, for they don't line up (aprox 1 inch off) and have issues with clearance. I did go with 2 1/2 inch exhaust pipe, and will have to change that, for I had to dent in the pipe over an inch to clear the starter, well, almost clear the starter. I'll try to get some photos posted, just wanted to see if I could find the right part number. I'll also get the number off the Z bar today. Almost ready to pull everything out and put a torqueflight in place, but that opens up another can of worms. I went with a holley 750, and ran good on the test stand, then it developed issues. Had a carb guy build me up a 600 Holley that didn't work out either. Got a 6 month old edelbrock from a guy that said it was taken off a running engine and I got it home and looked it over and it could not possibly work either for the needle and seat are missing. Gonna buy a new one, tired of trying to use crap. I'm about ready to sell the car and relieve some stress.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
you might check in the tech section here, I don't know if it lists the part numbers in the listings or not.

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Thanks guys, and Bob, I'll check out the dimensions given on Brewers site and see what I have. Another issue cropped up as well. Finally got a good carb on and let the engine run for around 10 minutes. Looked and have oil coming out of the front seal of the 833. So much for a "rebuilt" tranny. Sigh. Think once I get the car going, I'll check out the tranny first to see if other problems exist before I just replace the front seal. Well, someday.

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Thanks guys, and Bob, I'll check out the dimensions given on Brewers site and see what I have. Another issue cropped up as well. Finally got a good carb on and let the engine run for around 10 minutes. Looked and have oil coming out of the front seal of the 833. So much for a "rebuilt" tranny. Sigh. Think once I get the car going, I'll check out the tranny first to see if other problems exist before I just replace the front seal. Well, someday.

:CHASIN312:There's never a shortage of problems...

jerrysdustydog

Reaction score
Yep John, I'll be calling you soon. I'm gonna wait a week or two and deal with other projects before I get back on the runner. Will need a few things replaced. Hell, I might even get to drive it this year!

1967 'cuda

Reaction score
Yep John, I'll be calling you soon. I'm gonna wait a week or two and deal with other projects before I get back on the runner. Will need a few things replaced. Hell, I might even get to drive it this year!

Well, you know I'll do my best to track down anything you need. We've been doing other business with that buddy of mine. We're having him do the re-paint on my son's 2010 Challenger. So hopefully he'll stay in a selling mood on his parts. Now and then he says he feels like holding onto everything he's got because he's got so many potential projects himself that he may need them for 'some day'.

Back