• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torqueflite to 833 standard tranny conversion.

Reaction score
Hi. I’m on the hunt for a 4-speed, standard transmission for the B body. I’ve got the 440 block and steel crank, which has the hole for the input shaft.
Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Ken

Plybeep68

Acceleratii Incredibus
Reaction score
Check with Brewer's, they have everything you need,, or Passion

quikbird

Reaction score
Ken, welcome to the group. Now on to your question. Need some more info, how much of the engine is together. What b body do you want to put this into? Did this car have a 4 speed before? What are your long term plans for this car? (Determines how tough tranny needs to be)
Where are you located? How handy are you?

Reaction score
Hey Quikbird!
-engine block, steel crank, and heads are at the machine shop. All have been cleaned up. Looking to match everything. Can, Intake, heads. My engine rebuilder says the connecting rods are heavier than stock. Says they very likely came from a six pack engine. This is my goal. I have the 69 Roadrunner that came with the engine as a package but not originally from the factory. My machine shop says the block is 71’ vintage. The package came in many many pieces. The care was essentially stripped, with boxes and Tupperware containers full of parts. Came with a 727 torqueflite. Long term goal is to resurrect a machine that will real nice ride, with plenty of pony’s to have some fun. I’m shooting for 500-600hp. I’m located in the little hamlet of Sexsmith, Alberta, Canada. I’m pretty handy. I got my machine shop taking care of the engine. A local body shop, takin care of that part. Another local shop taking care of the upholstery. I’m taking care of everything else.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. :welcome: Found my A833 on E bay. Got lucky some guy put a tera mic in and the shop got the one I bought. Thought well here I go but it was like new inside after opening it up. So sometime we make out on buying used. Good luck. Will need to put the Z bar bracket in if you don't have it. If you have the automatic cross member support you can cut it and make it work. That is what I had to do.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Brewers sells a complete conversion kit even the carpet. You do have a floor hump and Z-bar braket to weld in before paint, all in the kit.

Reaction score
Hey 69hemibeep. Thanks for the vote for Brewers! I’ve been in touch with Dan. He’s already sent complete quote over to me. I’m checking Passonperformance for pricing before I make a move.

quikbird

Reaction score
complete kit is a good idea. here is what i have in mine. 440 stroked to 494. approx 500 hp, rxt twin disc clutch by mccleod, hydraulic throw out bearing, lakewood sfi bell housing. recommend some kind of sfi bellhousing or cover shield with that horsepower. i like my feet attached where they are. pason 5 speed tranny, dana 60 rear end with a 4 link. best of luck on this, and heed Bob's advice; weld the floor pan shifter hump in before carpet!!

Reaction score
I just put my deposit down on the Brewer's conversion kit and 833 tranny. They have a 6 month waiting list for the tranny's. Is there an easier and quicker method to determine the exact location for that floor pan shifter hump?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Here is some pic's with measurement's. Hope it help's. The one Measurement is form the fire wall and floor pant where they meet to that screw hole or the back of the hump if you you look. IMG_0109.JPG

IMG_0106.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
You can get the hump from AMD and tell Brewers you dont need it or sell it. No measurments needed Ive done several and they fall into place in the floor pan. Draw a line around it move in about an inch from the line and cut the hole but towards the rear stop at the cross member. Prep and weld. Don't forget the Z-Bar bracket gets welded in the engine bay before paint also.

BioMedTechGuy

Reaction score
complete kit is a good idea. here is what i have in mine. 440 stroked to 494. approx 500 hp, rxt twin disc clutch by mccleod, hydraulic throw out bearing, lakewood sfi bell housing. recommend some kind of sfi bellhousing or cover shield with that horsepower. i like my feet attached where they are. pason 5 speed tranny, dana 60 rear end with a 4 link. best of luck on this, and heed Bob's advice; weld the floor pan shifter hump in before carpet!!
I sent you a PM.
I just had a lot of the same parts installed in my 70 Roadrunner 440 6bbl. It already had an 18 spline 833, but I have had the Passon 855 in it for 3+years. Last summer, I switched to an American Powertrain hydraulic throwout bearing, McLeod recommended the RXT dual disc because I have a HitMaster launch control system that will generate a good bit of heat and friction for the second or two that it slips the clutch at the launch, and I have a new Bill Mitchell Products aluminum big bore (4.50) RB block I'm going to build a 541 stroker motor with.
I'm having problems going into Reverse because the input shaft is spinning, and that may also be causing an almost unnoticeable resistance going through the forward gears. Something may be rubbing on the discs.

MoparDan

Reaction score
Hey Quikbird!
-engine block, steel crank, and heads are at the machine shop. All have been cleaned up. Looking to match everything. Can, Intake, heads. My engine rebuilder says the connecting rods are heavier than stock. Says they very likely came from a six pack engine. This is my goal. I have the 69 Roadrunner that came with the engine as a package but not originally from the factory. My machine shop says the block is 71’ vintage. The package came in many many pieces. The care was essentially stripped, with boxes and Tupperware containers full of parts. Came with a 727 torqueflite. Long term goal is to resurrect a machine that will real nice ride, with plenty of pony’s to have some fun. I’m shooting for 500-600hp. I’m located in the little hamlet of Sexsmith, Alberta, Canada. I’m pretty handy. I got my machine shop taking care of the engine. A local body shop, takin care of that part. Another local shop taking care of the upholstery. I’m taking care of everything else.
If the rods are from a 440 6 pack it will need to be externally balanced

Reaction score
Hey Russ69Runner. Awesome! Thanks for the photos. I see car does have the factory ‘flat’ spot on the floor tunnel.
Also. I am having some success with the 833 tranny locates. Ther is one guy in Ontario. Who has an 833 for the ‘A’ body. I am told there is a conversion kit for these tranny’s to fit into the ‘B’ body Roadrunner. Have you heard of this? And if so,,, how much more work is it to make it all work?
Thanks again everyone for your knowledge and input. Really an awesome group.

Back