• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Towed again...

JJRJR

Reaction score
Last week she was running great. Take her for a ride this morning, all good then stalled. Started again stalled again noticed positive battery cable totally disengaged. Got new terminal and installed then started but won't stay running. When it does start it runs VERY rough and wants to die.

Called the tech that got her running well and he says it sounds electrical. Gotta have Ito towed back to him. Not sure if loose battery cable messed with the MSD ignition, but seems odd that this happened out of nowhere.

Hope I get to enjoy this car someday. Very discouraged.

Happy New Year All ...

John

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
SORRY ABOUT IT JOHN.....YOUR GUY HAS TO STRAIGHTEN OUT THIS BULLSHIT :brickwall: :brickwall: :brickwall:

Steve

Reaction score
Keep the faith,all this hassle is frustrating but you will get it running right and you won't get the grin off your face.

JJRJR

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I'll keep u posted. Happy New Year!

dobie

Reaction score
I know your pain, all too well. My steering column gave way earlier in the fall after just "fixing" it. I've been towed home several times.

The first several tows years ago was the pickup coil in the distributor. It would start and run fine, then shut off with no warning. She'd cool down for 15-20 minutes, fire right back up, then do it again 20 minutes later.

The other tows were related to the main power feed in the bulkhead. As always, she would fire up in my garage. Id go drive somewhere, park, and shut her off, then id have no power to anything. That left me stranded a couple of times before it was finally found and "fixed."

Good luck, and Happy New Year Sir!

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
we've all been there, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger! And when you're driving around, notice the late model cars that are sitting along the road, so it's junt not old cars that breakdown. And when I worked at the IH dealership, there were lots of new trucks ($80,000+) that came back with teething troubles.
and you said the battery end of the positive cable was shot, how was the other end?

4spd69RR

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
we've all been there, so don't feel like the Lone Ranger! And when you're driving around, notice the late model cars that are sitting along the road, so it's junt not old cars that breakdown. And when I worked at the IH dealership, there were lots of new trucks ($80,000+) that came back with teething troubles.
and you said the battery end of the positive cable was shot, how was the other end?

Sounds like a starter grounding out and draining the battery.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
John, Ill give you a dollar six eighty for it :basketcase: I'm sure you will enjoy it once the goblins are worked out, but then again they are never finished they are cars. :yesnod:

cj69RR

Reaction score
We have all had issues with these old cars. I faught through a fuel issue for a while. Get it sorted out and then enjoy it! You will get it right to drive it.

challengergary

Reaction score
What the heck?!?!? Isn't that like the third time that the positive cable has come loose? Talk about bizarre.

JJRJR

Reaction score
challengergary said:
What the heck?!?!? Isn't that like the third time that the positive cable has come loose? Talk about bizarre.

Hey Gary, how goes it? Yea, the first time it was the terminal was loose, this time the actual cable itself came out of the terminal so got new one at Pep Boys and replaced it. Just don't understand how the car can be running great, then just die on me like that. Gonna have it towed back to Scott maybe tomorrow if I can make time.

How is everything going with you? How is the Challenger coming? Did you move to your new shop?

J

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
JJRJR said:
challengergary said:

Hey Gary, how goes it? Yea, the first time it was the terminal was loose, this time the actual cable itself came out of the terminal so got new one at Pep Boys and replaced it. Just don't understand how the car can be running great, then just die on me like that. Gonna have it towed back to Scott maybe tomorrow if I can make time.

How is everything going with you? How is the Challenger coming? Did you move to your new shop?

J
Is the cable getting hot?

challengergary

Reaction score
JJRJR said:
challengergary said:

J

Got everything going now at the new location. Still have to get the lift out of the old shop, however. Haven't been able to work on the Challenger much the past couple of weeks due to the move. I've got the engine compartment finished up for him - he had me shave the firewall and I had to re-do a bunch of bodywork in the engine compartment. I was planning on putting the engine in place prior to the move but ran out of time. Can't wait to start working on it again.

Happy New Year

2012-12-18 13.34.46.jpg

engine.jpg

challengergary

Reaction score
Yeah, I think the owner said it was around $2500 for the setup. Out of my league, for sure

JJRJR

Reaction score
Good news I guess. Seems some dirt got into the carb. He cleaned and fired right up. Got a tranny tail shaft seal with small leak so gonna fix that. Also gonna switch out the chrome water neck with OEM. Chrome always leaks a bit. Should have her back next week. Fingers crossed.

Have a great weekend guys!

Back