• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trailer size required?

Charlie's68

Reaction score
Greetings,
First time on this site but I expect to be here often. I acquired 68 RR hardtop in St. Louis and have a friend who will drive way out of his way to pick up and bring to new home in upstate NY. Problem is--will it fit on double axle U haul auto transport trailer? The width inside to inside of the trailer wheel covers is 82 inches. Width of RR is 76.4 inches. Is that 76 inches center of tire, outside of tire, or fat point of the car body? Also it looks like the front bumper will hang over the trailer tongue by some amount. Is the center of the front tire to the front bumper of the car less than 3 feet? If so, that should not be an issue. I think some of the rear quarter panels will hang off but that should not matter either. If someone could help with the above, it would be a great help. The current owner of the RR is out of town and does not know the answer. Thank you and I look forward to learning alot here. If there is a better way to post please let me know.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Welcome to the site. I used a buddy's car hauler trailer. It fit fine on it. Cant say about the U haul one. It is wider at the rear quarters. :welcome:

roadrunnerbob

Reaction score
a friend of mine used a u haul trailer to take his GTX to the mopar nats worked great

quikbird

Reaction score
Remember that even though these cars were considered intermediate cars back then, they are considerably longer than today’s cars. I think 16 feet long is minimum

Jack R

Reaction score
The Uhaul car trailer will be just fine. The fender over the wheels folds down too so you can open the driver door once you are on the trailer. The trailer is a heavy though and it has surge brakes that work well.

Jack R

Reaction score
I sold my car trailer as was using only once or twice a year. Found the haul trailers are excellent short and long haul. For $40.00 each time the Uhaul is a better deal. And it’s never in the way.

Back