• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trans leak

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Hi all,
After a acouple of recent road trips, I noticed a slight drip from under the car. Engine bay was clean as, so after a roadside inspection I found the whole trans tunnel covered in oil.

Got it back to my mates shop, looks like its coming from the end of the housing extension. Seems like an easy fix but neither me or my mate have opened one up before.

Just wondering if its a seal (ive found a part on rockauto.com) or is there also a sleeve or bearing it should slip into?

There is a bit of movement in the shaft, which is suggesting its more than just a seal.20180116_084356.jpg 20180116_084356.jpg 20180116_084407.jpg

Any help much appreciated. Photos attached for reference.

Coyote

Reaction score
It’s your lucky day (imho). Seal replacement time. Drop shaft, replace seal, lube it, make sure trans is full, reassemble.

Good luck!:thumbsup::beep:
p.s. nice pics!

quikbird

Reaction score
of all the things that can go wrong this one is pretty easy to fix. check front yoke when remove driveshaft and make sure is smooth so wont mess with the new seal

RKNRLR

Reaction score
It’s your lucky day (imho). Seal replacement time. Drop shaft, replace seal, lube it, make sure trans is full, reassemble.

Good luck!:thumbsup::beep:
p.s. nice pics!

Since doing the seal swap, ive done a bit of driving, although nothing excessive, and it seems like the seal has gone again. Is this a recurring problem for anyone else?

I recently came back from a month-long holiday, which is the longest the car has gone without being driven since I had it, so im thinking that it might have stiffened up (currently winter down here).

Knew I should have ordered 2 straight away!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
How old is the bushing in the tail shaft housing? Might be the cause if its sloppy.

dmartin

Reaction score
Looks like the pipes are a little too close it my be melting the seal if you drive it for a while maybe or maybe not

RKNRLR

Reaction score
How old is the bushing in the tail shaft housing? Might be the cause if its sloppy.
not real sure. I've had the car about a year and a half, and I haven't changed it. I think the 2nd part listing i found comes with a bushing kit

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Looks like the pipes are a little too close it my be melting the seal if you drive it for a while maybe or maybe not
never thought of that! they are tucked up pretty close, and I do take her out on the freeway regularly.

Last drive before the holiday was at the track, so my gut is telling me that if there was any minor issue, that surely would have brought it to my attention. When i got back (from my holiday) i rolled it out of the garage, and notice a couple of spots under the car, coming from roughly under the x pipe, which means it was probably leaking on the way home form the track.

I thought it might have dried out and hardened up, but surely not in a month!

quikbird

Reaction score
Should not fail that fast. Are built to last years. Back to my original idea, check the yoke shaft for any imperfections that could irritate the seal and abrade it. Did you get the right size? Is the new seal in all the way? Double check the diameter of yoke shaft and make sure not undersized for application. If a little too small will leak. Hope that gives you some ideas and one is correct and solves problem.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
the first time we popped it, it had some slight burrs so we linished it and cleaned it up good, and after we swapped the seal I didn't have any complaints. luckily parts are peanuts over there so Ive ordered a couple. We really get jagged for anything automotive down under.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
finally changed the seal, turns out the bushing was on the way out too. too much slop was killing the seals one after the other.
got a kit with seal and bushing from rockauto.com for about $10, part number:
NATIONAL 5206.
NS_5206_Ang__ra_p.jpg

Back