• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Transmission Gear Oil

amike95

Reaction score
Hey guys, what weigh gear oil are you guys using in your 4 sp's? I want to change mind, but have no idea what weigh is in it. Thanks,

moparchris

Reaction score
I have run Motul MTL (motorcycle trans lube) and ATF as well as 80/90. The trannies are way easier to speed shift with the lighter weights but they were drag cars that saw very limited street use. I have heard the 5.0 guys run the MTL with no problems.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Pennzoil Synchromesh its about 30w. These things came with ATF when new.

CompSyn

Reaction score
amike95 said:
Hey guys, what weigh gear oil are you guys using in your 4 sp's? I want to change mind, but have no idea what weigh is in it. Thanks,

Caution: Don’t use API GL-5 rated gear lube in your transmission. Make sure you get API GL-4 rated lube as this is suited to synchronized manual transmissions.

As far as lubricant viscosities go, the SAE uses different ratings for different lubricants. Numbers on the bottle of the lube don't directly reflect actual oil viscosity, for example:

SAE 10W-30 motor oil can meet the spec for SAE 80 gear oil.

AND

SAE 10W-40 motor oil can meet the spec for SAE 80W-90 gear oil.

I’d check out this: Manual Transmission Gear Lube 75W-90 API GL-4 - link

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Jamie Passon sells his own gear lube that's supposed to be good.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
hmmmm....not sure on that one. I thought he sold to to use in all 4 speeds. I was gonna get some from him at The Nats, but I didn't get to go this year.

Ranger

Reaction score
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I am planning on changing the trans fluid in my A833. The 1969 FSM calls for SAE140. You guys are recommending 90W. What don't I know?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Forgive me for resurrecting an old thread, but I am planning on changing the trans fluid in my A833. The 1969 FSM calls for SAE140. You guys are recommending 90W. What don't I know?

The lighter the oil the quicker they shift. That being said the old heavy gear lubes use to handle pressure better. So out of the factory they were filled with ATF about 5w and the book calls for a heavier oil for warm areas. Personally I think 140w is much to heavy, 90w is probably fine or a specialty manual transmission lube.

Back