• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk weather strip

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Just wondering where the trunk weather strip seam is supposed to go on the RR.

FYI the 69 Firebird's trunk weather strip seam is to be offset about 6 inches to the left of center. Theories abound as to why.

I assume the RR is dead center but then just want to make it right.

Let me know and thanks.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
The seam is at the bottom but not centered a few inches to the right of the latch is where the majority of them were found if you want to get that crazy. I also did not glue the spot where the numbers are in case someone wants to inspect the car they don't tear the seal :thumbsup:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
not like you gotta worry about the rain getting in ..... :jester:

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Just want to do it right when I can. And if anyone has "been there done that" it is you.

Thanks.

The J and M code cars probably should leave their's loose over the last of the VIN.

Mine is a hybrid Irish car. Now if I can only get it to make broxty and coddle.

I think I will glue it twice.

I heard from the First Generation Firebird crowd the reason the seam is off to the side is because people usually stand in the middle of their open trunk and the wear would be greatest at that area. Hence move it over a bit.

I don't know if it is the absolute truth but it makes sense.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Leaks like a sieve anyway. I've got to figure out a way to make mine work like a seal instead of letting everything in. When washing the water pours in past the seal on near the left hinge at the bend from the panel.

meepbeep69

Reaction score
Looking at our avitars on top of one another I can't help but think of Christmas.

I will be at the shop putting the trunk rubber on as well as the door rubber Thursday.

Friday it is off to the trim shop.

I will see if I see anything on mine. We will pay attention to the curves and the seams. Mine had a lot of seam sealer in most places. Where it did not we taped it and laid it in then painted.

The rubber just came in from Megaparts. There are times I think Jamie up there is shipping from somewhere in my back yard. He's like a Jimmy John commercial.

droptop

Reaction score
The seam should be in the latch area. Usually off center one way or the other, depending on witch direction you start putting it on. The reason it will be off center slightly is that you always stretch the rubber no matter how hard you try not to. The rubber contracts slightly and that is why they are off center. :cents:

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
BBillyC said:
Leaks like a sieve anyway. I've got to figure out a way to make mine work like a seal instead of letting everything in. When washing the water pours in past the seal on near the left hinge at the bend from the panel.

not correct, but on my other car I used a trunk strip off a Diplomat, alot thicker, and you have to push down on the trunk to close it. seals tight as a drum.

BBillyC

Reaction score
Hey Basketcase that maybe an idea. The seal on mine is new but still leaks and I've always thought it should be thicker which would require a little more pressure to close the trunk. :cheers:

vpnj50

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
BBillyC said:

not correct, but on my other car I used a trunk strip off a Diplomat, alot thicker, and you have to push down on the trunk to close it. seals tight as a drum.
Good idea. Was going to replace with stock. What year Diplomat? Thanks

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
any Diplamat,Fury, etc from the '80s should be the same.

glhcarl

Reaction score
mcmopar said:
Nah - it's just cracked. My original looked like that, too.

I my first picture there is a mold line in the seal right at the latch and the seal is spliced together about 2" to the left of the latch/mold line. There are several mold lines on the seal, a second can be seen it this photo.

glhcarl

Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
mcmopar said:
glhcarl said:
I am almost postitive my trunk seal is factory.

Ya think? :acme: :jester:

:lol:

Carl, you planning on coming down for MoPars with Big Daddy again this year?
A friend and I were discussing that very subject today. And yes last year was a blast and I can hardly wait til November!

mcmopar

Reaction score
Hopefully we can meet up. I'm definitely planning on being there both days this year.

Back