• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ugly clutch noises

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Ok so Im getting some really ugly noises coming from my new clutch/box setup, not sure yet what the issue is, hoping maybe some of you may be able to shed some light.

engine is a 440 putting out about 600hp, clutch is Mcleod RXT - rated to 1000HP, Hemi 4-speed, Gearvendors OD behind.

The problem starts when I depress the clutch fully, slip it into first, and then touch the accelorator pedal, even slightly. Loud grinding of teeth, sometimes scraping noises. Sometimes it wont go into first, sometimes it wont come out of first. Double clutching will stop the noises. It doesnt happen everytime though, comes and goes. Probably happens less 20/80 of the time. Almost always at no load/very light load, like looking for parking driving, or rolling away when the light goes green.

Its been hard to change gears, sometimes 1-2. other times 2-3. Down the track i barely got it into 4th out of 3rd.

I am still using the original clutch fork and linkage setup (although replaced with OEM replacements not too long ago). I am thinking maybe its a geometry issue. Not enough engagement/too much engagement. We thought about putting a small bracket to stop the clutch from over-depressing, but on road-testing, these noises were also happening at part-clutch depression.

I was previously running the 23-spline box with a Mcleod RST setup, without this issue. I had installed the replacement fork/linkage with this clutch, and it operated great.

Any help/experience much appreciated. Looks like the box and clutch will need to come out regardless for inspection, just hoping to get and idea of whats going on or what to look for before we take them out.

Thanks in advance!

RKNRLR

Reaction score
It seems as though we've stumbled across the problem...
It seems as though someone has, at some stage, "clearanced", and I use the term loosely - the bearing retainer from the front of the box. For what reason, Ill never know. Maybe to get it into a different bellhousing?
I thought at first maybe the bellhousing was warped or something, but a quick check of the fitment of the retainer from my old 23 spline box - real snug - confirmed that it was the retainer itself. The photos show just how bad the "clearancing" was done.
Anyway, I ordered a new billet steel one from Brewers, and it fits - real tight.
Just goes to show, you really gott be checking EVERYTHING, even the stuff youre not swapping/replacing/maintaining.

thumbnail_IMG20210224093015.jpg thumbnail_IMG20210224093026.jpg thumbnail_IMG20210224093036.jpg

thumbnail_IMG20210224111551.jpg

thumbnail_IMG20210224111658.jpg

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Thing's like this just are not right. Have to be on your toes all the time. Glad you found the problem and got a solution. So how is the car doing other than this.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Box is out at the moment, just going through it while the clutch is out, small maintenance stuff, seals etc
New clutch looks real nice, I'm hoping to be driving it again on the weekend.

Coyote

Reaction score
:beep:Damn! Replied to your message. You are obviously running a bunch more horsepressure than I did with my tired 440 (still ran 14 flat at 107 in 100f degrees) Never had a moments trouble in seven years until I trashed clutch disc facings at Mopar nats!
Just talked with Qbird, we are headed to shoppe next weekend. My old Bellhousing is loose, we’ll check it against his old trans. We put his 5 gear in. When I put 5gear in with new mill I used a new Quicktime scattershield. Shame on somebody! Ya gotta love cobblers!:thumbsup:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
:beep:Damn! Replied to your message. You are obviously running a bunch more horsepressure than I did with my tired 440 (still ran 14 flat at 107 in 100f degrees) Never had a moments trouble in seven years until I trashed clutch disc facings at Mopar nats!
Just talked with Qbird, we are headed to shoppe next weekend. My old Bellhousing is loose, we’ll check it against his old trans. We put his 5 gear in. When I put 5gear in with new mill I used a new Quicktime scattershield. Shame on somebody! Ya gotta love cobblers!:thumbsup:

Ah the damage looks like it was done yonks ago, definitely not a fresh job. I have a feeling that the hard down shifting of the gearvendors out of OD also did not help the situation. The box is back in the car now, pink slip tomorrow, so hopefully a smoky outlook for the weekend!

Coyote

Reaction score
Go for it! Good luck! Bet it flies, glad you found problem! Never had a reason to check it, definitely sorry it happened!
:thumbsup::beep:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
Go for it! Good luck! Bet it flies, glad you found problem! Never had a reason to check it, definitely sorry it happened!
:thumbsup::beep:
Neither did I, to tell you the truth. Only found out it was an issue by accident. better late than never.

quikbird

Reaction score
Looked it up. There are two front bearing retainers. One is 4.805 in. Other is 4.354 in dia. Some body must have had a bellhousing for the smaller dia and clearanced it to fit. We tried the bellhousing 2892282 on a 23 spline tranny and has a big gap on it.20210313_101600.jpg

Last edited:

RKNRLR

Reaction score
I tried the new retainer i got from brewers, replacement for the casting number of the one I had, fit like a glove. I also tried the bearingretainer from my 23 spline tranny, which also fit like a glove. Needless to say, never had the clutch issue with the 23 spline box in there, and it took quite a beating.

RKNRLR

Reaction score
UPDATE - clutch is now making much nicer noises, made a couple of shakedown passes on Wednesday night, car held up great. Now just to learn how to drive it all over again.

Back