• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Upper door panel paint

dcala84141

Reaction score
Hi, I want to paint my upper door panels the original gloss black color for my 1968 roadrunner. I was told that the color should be jewel black, but looking at some door panels from other 68 RR it appears that this is not the right color. The finish door panels that I looked at were a very glossy black.Does anybody know what was the proper color used. I really don’t want to use any gloss black paint in spray cans from my local auto store if I can help it

Thanks for the time
Bill

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I used hot rod black on the inside of my 69 runner. Acrylic black from the automotive paint store. It is a single stage paint. Don't know what the used back in the day. Had to buy lacquer paint for the dash but is not a gloss. :thumbsup2:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
That's the same paint Mr Moparts sells, coverage on the interior paint didn't impress me.

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
That's the same paint Mr Moparts sells
I'm not so sure about that... I had him mix me up a quart (it's not pre-packaged) of PPG acrylic enamel in Baltic Blue with the suede (textured) finish for Bambi's dash and steering column. I don't see anything like that on the Mr. Moparts website...rattle can or otherwise. The results were fantastic.

For the door frames Bill (dcala84141) could just use a X9 BC/CC matched by any local paint shop as you suggested, or he could have someone like Chas put it in a can for him like I offered up. Just depends upon how involved he wants this project to get...

dcala84141

Reaction score
Thanks guys
I’ll check out both places. The original black doors panels I saw from factory or restored were a very gloss black, which is what I want. Was told the color was jewel black, put I checked it out and it didn’t look glossy enough to me. The dash looks to be flat black

Back