• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vin & Tag Question

RonLiv

Reaction score
I'm going to be traveling home to Pittsburgh for the Christmas Holiday. I saw this Hemi 69 car advertised for sale and thought I'd go have a look. Not that I'm a buyer, I just like to look especially at the Hemi's. When going over the detailed pictures something seems a little off to me. The Vin on the dash and the Vin on the tag do not match? The Dash Vin clearly shows the "J" code within, but the Vin on the Tag isn't even close. Is this a normal thing for a Hemi car? Hemi Tag.jpg Hemi Vin.jpg

RonLiv

Reaction score
Ah OK, didn't know that. I was focused solely on the bottom row on the Fender tag and didn't even look up top. It's weird that they do it this way. I'm so used to looking at St Louis tags because I like the Verts. Thanks for clearing this up.

RonLiv

Reaction score
This car has the dog dish hub's & red lines, so assume that is correct.
Interesting that it has power windows, I thought pretty rare on 69 RR's. Cool option.
It is an N96 car as confirmed by the fender tag, but the hood vents are black, I thought they were supposed to be red. Maybe this is normal for X9 cars with the N96 option? I had read somewhere that early N96 optioned cars the screens were black. Is the build date 3/31? Is that considered "early"? Easy fix if not and you wanted "correct".
It has the "original" 3:23 rear. I would have thought the Hemi's would have come with something more aggressive. Was the rear gear ratio standard 3:23 on all cars and you had to special order if you wanted something different? I don't see the code on the tag for a "sales bank" car like I have on mine.
I can't tell by the add if the Hemi is original to the car or not. I'm guessing a replacement engine takes away from the value somewhat. Normally most cases I see that matching numbers cars are specifically pointed out, here no.
What are the correct carburetors for a 69 Hemi, are they supposed to be Carter? The add doesn't say what they are, but I'm curious.
The car presents itself really nice, in fact its beautiful actually. Underneath you can tell the car has been driven, but still very nice, but not concours.
They seem to be asking a lot at $131.2K at least according to Haggerty's guide. By their definition I would say this isn't a 1 car or probably even a 2. But its better than a 3 so somewhere in-between. They obviously have a different opinion than mine.
The add is on Hemmings.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Curious about something here. From what I read, the 69 Hemi Roadrunner 4-speed car came standard with the Dana 60 rear end. But the Hemi 69 Roadrunner that had the torque flight came standard with the 8 1/4 banjo rear. Why would the Dana 60 be standard on the M/T and not the A/T? Conversely I read that all mid year 440 six pack cars regardless of transmission type came with the Dana 60 rear differential. Or am I wrong about what was standard equipment?

Last edited:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Curious about something here. From what I read, the 69 Hemi Roadrunner 4-speed car came standard with the Dana 60 rear end. But the Hemi 69 Roadrunner that had the torque flight came standard with the 8 1/4 banjo rear. Why would the Dana 60 be standard on the M/T and not the A/T? Conversely I read that all mid year 440 six pack cars regardless of transmission type came with the Dana 60 rear differential. Or am I wrong about what was standard equipment?

8.75" rear was standard on Hemi-727 cars. I'm assuming you simply made a typo.

Four speeds are a lot harder on differentials than slush boxes are so the 4 gear cars got Danas. It's that simple.

A12s got a 4.10 geared Dana regardless of transmission because that was just part of the package - they were intended for one thing and one thing only. Automatic 440 and Hemi cars could be ordered with an axle package (Dana). Harold has one.

RonLiv

Reaction score
8.75" rear was standard on Hemi-727 cars. I'm assuming you simply made a typo.

Four speeds are a lot harder on differentials than slush boxes are so the 4 gear cars got Danas. It's that simple.

A12s got a 4.10 geared Dana regardless of transmission because that was just part of the package - they were intended for one thing and one thing only. Automatic 440 and Hemi cars could be ordered with an axle package (Dana). Harold has one.
Thanks. I find that kind of interesting though about the Hemi A/T cars standard equipment being the 8.75 (sorry about the typo). I get the axle package detail. So if you wanted the dana 60 on the A/T Hemi you had to add the package. Lesson learned.

RonLiv

Reaction score
So when I read about all the different Axle packages, A36 Performance Pak, A31 High Performance Pak, A33 Track Pak, A34 Super Track Pak, A32 Super Performance Pak they all seem to include the 26 Inch radiator. My buddy has the 26" radiator in his 383 4-speed Car, but has the code for it specifically on his tag and build sheet (N51).

So lets say you have a Hemi A/T car with no axle package, do you get the 24" radiator?

What Rad's did the 440/6 cars come with?

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Hemi and 6 bbl cars got the max cool package 26" radiator. That cars tag you posted above has a 26 in the middle of the tag like mine.roadrunner restoration 893.jpg

Mio’s47

Reaction score
I'm going to be traveling home to Pittsburgh for the Christmas Holiday. I saw this Hemi 69 car advertised for sale and thought I'd go have a look. Not that I'm a buyer, I just like to look especially at the Hemi's. When going over the detailed pictures something seems a little off to me. The Vin on the dash and the Vin on the tag do not match? The Dash Vin clearly shows the "J" code within, but the Vin on the Tag isn't even close. Is this a normal thing for a Hemi car? View attachment 29564 View attachment 29565
Is a vin tag real important I’m new at this I just bought a rr and it doesn’t hv a fender tag?

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Is a vin tag real important I’m new at this I just bought a rr and it doesn’t hv a fender tag?
Only you can really answer that question. It all comes down to what you think that you bought, how much you paid for it, was it misrepresented by the seller, and how much do you care about the answers to these questions. JMHO - If you bought an investment grade RR it needs to have a FT.

RonLiv

Reaction score
Only you can really answer that question. It all comes down to what you think that you bought, how much you paid for it, was it misrepresented by the seller, and how much do you care about the answers to these questions. JMHO - If you bought an investment grade RR it needs to have a FT.
Good answer. I just find the whole fender tag thing interesting though. I like to see and research the codes. I spent weeks laboring over what paint code to use for V7B, finally decided on B3 as there is no documented "code". I'm infatuated by the Hemi and the A12 cars. I think its the whole thing of multiple carburetors. I'm just weird like that. I get angry when I see fake tags without anydocumentation. I'm not a purest as I've added things to my car that are not on the tag, 15" Magnums and the Air Grabber, because I like those options. But try to keep it with the spirit of original. Not a fan of the resto-mod thing, but I get it.

Last edited:
Back