• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voltage Limiter replacement on 1970 Roadrunner

Skrambler

Reaction score
I am going to attempt to fix my fuel gauge and temp gauge on my 1970 roadrunner, 383 column automatic. From what I understand it is a VERY good idea to replace the Voltage Limiter, even if this does not fix the problem (hope it does).
My question is in the dash removal. Is there anything to be cautious about during the dash removal? Or, is it straight forward? Looking from under the dash, it looks as if the dash needs to be removed. Too much in the way to simply reach the limiter from the underside. Agreed?
Any information appreciated. Thank you!

Rumrunner

Reaction score
I have a 68. If the fuel gauge and the temp gauge are both not working it could very possible be the voltage limiter is the problem as both gauges use the same one. To replace this you do not need to remove the dash. Just contort your body under the driver side dash on the floor and with a flash light you can see the existing, pull it out and replace.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Not sure about the 70 dash but 68-69 without a/c you can see the limiter and change it. I suggest you get a limiter from Real Time Engineering. They put a true 5 volts out some others are 4 volt making the guages read low and if their design goes bad it saves the guages instead of destroying them like the old units. Have you tested the guages? What part of AZ are you in? And do you have an S/C Rambler? Took a shot looking at Skrambler
https://www.rt-eng.com/index.php/RTE_limiter.html

Last edited:

Skrambler

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. No, I have not tested the gauges. I was able to get myself positioned under the dash and located the limiter. I simply am not able to reach that limiter! Fat hands and arms I suppose are keeping me from what sounds like an easy plug and play replacement! RATS! I assume that if someone can get into that area that the limiter simply does PULL OUT of the circuit board? No screws and or bolts? Could I risk trusting a friends son, who is still a skinny guy, to do this for me? Just looking for your opinion on this.
BTW, I am located in Sedona, AZ. 69hemibeep, I see you are somewhere around me as well? No, I could only hope that a Hurst Rambler would drive into my driveway!

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ive got a brother that just finished a new home in Sedona I should pay him a visit, I'm in the north end of Glendale west of I17 and the 101 if you know the area. Yes it is a plug in unit, just as always disconnect the battery.

Skrambler

Reaction score
Hey 69hemibeep, sure, I know your general area. If you travel up the road to see your brother, and wish to stop by, that would be great! Drop me a P.M. and we can take it from there. Thanks to everyone that replied as well.

Back