• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Voltage regulator question

Roadcuda

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that the voltage regulator on my Barracuda took a dump. The electrical system has been acting strange, and when the car is running it only shows 12.6 volts. I tried pulling the neg cable off while it's running to check the alternator and it kept running. So I took the regulator off and opened it up. It is an electrical unit and has that burnt electrical smell. I tried to check the continuity with my tester and it shows nothing. It will show some to a few places on the board but not all the way through. My guess is that it' has gone bad. What do you guys think? Thanks.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Roadcuda said:
I'm pretty sure that the voltage regulator on my Barracuda took a dump. The electrical system has been acting strange, and when the car is running it only shows 12.6 volts. I tried pulling the neg cable off while it's running to check the alternator and it kept running. So I took the regulator off and opened it up. It is an electrical unit and has that burnt electrical smell. I tried to check the continuity with my tester and it shows nothing. It will show some to a few places on the board but not all the way through. My guess is that it' has gone bad. What do you guys think? Thanks.
I think that through my years of experience your just opening a can of worms. If you will simply transport the car to The Bob & Chris Southwest mopar chop, I mean shop :D We can fix you up in a matter of months :jester:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
if you jump the field wire to the bat post on the alt and run the car (very short time) and the voltage goes to full charge then it is the reg. funny thing about electrical things is that they are all filled with smoke when manufactured and when you let the smoke out they go bad. :leave:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:
I think that through my years of experience your just opening a can of worms. If you will simply transport the car to The Bob & Chris Southwest mopar chop, I mean shop :D We can fix you up in a matter of months :jester:
:lmao: :lmao:

moparchris

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:

.....and we can relieve the rear tires of any smoke they may have left in them. :lmao:

Roadcuda

Reaction score
moparchris said:
69hemibeep said:
Roadcuda said:

.....and we can relieve the rear tires of any smoke they may have left in them. :lmao:
That might be interesting to see with my little 273 and 4.25" wide tires!!!!

Back