• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

We have lift-off

6R9Runner

Reaction score
I'm picking up a fiberglass 6BBL hood from Year One this week- what's the best way to fit it? Is there a template to guide hole placement?

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
i just bolted on the brackets in the back/drilled holes for the front pins and layed it out.....measure twice so its right.....maybe there is some pattern but i dont know about it.......somebody here may have that info :toetap:

dobie

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
i just bolted on the brackets in the back/drilled holes for the front pins and layed it out.....measure twice so its right.....maybe there is some pattern but i dont know about it.......somebody here may have that info :toetap:

Yeah, that's what I did to.

6R9Runner

Reaction score
The link is awesome, mac. I didnt realize the Super Bee and Roadrunner use different rad-support pin placement, so using my buddy's A12 Bee as a reference would have caused problems.

I'll measure everything on my car first as a sanity check, and drill the holes in the hood with a 1/4" bit to spot the pins before going full-bore. Thanks for all the advice. :thumbsup:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Installing this hood gave me an excuse to clean up some poor bodywork and to repaint the blackout. And drilling the holes involved installing and removing the hood a few times to get it right, so with all that practice I can remove it alone. The center will get blackout as well. Purists will cringe but it works for me. :eek:

cowlbefore.jpgcowlafter.jpg
orangedelete.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I did the same thing in 1975 and when we moved out of the rental we were in
i left the old hood and air grabber behind :loco:

mac

What ?
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
Installing this hood gave me an excuse to clean up some poor bodywork and to repaint the blackout. And drilling the holes involved installing and removing the hood a few times to get it right, so with all that practice I can remove it alone. The center will get blackout as well. Purists will cringe but it works for me. :eek:

when faced with making choices about what is "right" for the car, always refer back to the person whose name is on the title of the car. that is the only person who gets to decide. :cents:

6R9Runner

Reaction score
I like that attitude, mac :cool: Here are some quick pictures of the fenders, the blackout turned out well, low-gloss black is a VERY close match to the hood.
69hemibeep said:
SpongeBob, what did you use for an air intake with the lift-off hood? The proper 6-bbl has a huge oval air cleaner base/lid, and I'm only running a 4bbl 383.

Psngrfender.jpg
Drvrfender.jpg

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
6R9Runner said:
I like that attitude, mac :cool: Here are some quick pictures of the fenders, the blackout turned out well, low-gloss black is a VERY close match to the hood.
69hemibeep said:
SpongeBob, what did you use for an air intake with the lift-off hood? The proper 6-bbl has a huge oval air cleaner base/lid, and I'm only running a 4bbl 383.

Psngrfender.jpg
Drvrfender.jpg
It was a hemi car I left the dual quad air cleaner on it. Yes I had the best of both worlds, a lift off hood Hemi car :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You're welcome! When I reread your post quizzing Bob about what he used to mate his LOH to his set-up I remembered that I had seen this yesterday while conducting my periodic trolling for A12 parts on the E-bag...

Finished hood treatment looks good BTW. Forgot to state that in my earlier post. :thumbsup:

ACME

6R9Runner

Reaction score
Thanks all. The Viper belongs to my buddy, he's keeping it at my place until the snow thaws up north. :D Of course it had to snow in Atlanta today!

Back