• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding for dummies (me)

Jim S.

Reaction score
Let's say a guy were to butt weld a piece of metal to re-build part of a rocker panel. We won't mention the brand of car because I would probably piss everyone off (except Ray). Let's also say that after it is welded in place, there is no access to the back side of it. Should this guy epoxy prime the back side first or will this affect the butt weld? I know they make weld-thru primer but, I hear it is not the greatest for rust protection......... :huh:

Collin

Reaction score
I personally did all the welding on my car including rocker panels. The metal pieces should come with a type of corrosion coating on them already, if not I would recommend spraying the primer but keeping it off of the welding edge. I tried using a weld-thru primer but really did not like it, it really affected the way the welds came out and we found we had a better product without it. The primer and paints will bubble and peel with the heat from the welder, but if its under the rocker it isnt visible, and as long as it dosent catch fire it may do the job. I am in no way a "real" welder just my 2 cents.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
I personally did all the welding on my car including rocker panels. The metal pieces should come with a type of corrosion coating on them already, if not I would recommend spraying the primer but keeping it off of the welding edge. I tried using a weld-thru primer but really did not like it, it really affected the way the welds came out and we found we had a better product without it. The primer and paints will bubble and peel with the heat from the welder, but if its under the rocker it isnt visible, and as long as it dosent catch fire it may do the job

yeah that

Jim S.

Reaction score
69hemibeep said:
Well since its a Ford a little rust will add character :jester:

I know. I'm just trying to keep it from becoming a "Fred Flintstone" car. I have dumped a lot of parts and time into this thing and it is running real good. I find it nice to have a old winter beater. When I go to Walmart, I don't have to park 3 blocks away from the entrance. I can find a spot right next to the "Jerry Springer" families. :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
We won't mention the brand of car because I would probably piss everyone off (except Ray).

Jack likes Blue Ovals...and owns a nasty little Cobra...
I believe that a Cobra appeared on Bob's all-time car wish list...
Chris owns a Torino...
The Big Kahuna has (had?) an Expedition...
Half the guys on this website drive Ford Trucks...

I think you're in pretty good company, Jim.. :basketcase:

:jester:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Jim S.":prgla6r2]We won't mention the brand of car because I would probably piss everyone off (except Ray).

Chris owns a Torino...

:jester:[/quote:prgla6r2]
:grouphug: Really? Makes me want to :puke: :lol:

ACME A12

Plaid Sport Coat Wearing Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
69hemibeep said:

What makes you want to puke, that I remembered that you chastised the rest of us for not putting a SC427 on our wish list? :devil:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
69hemibeep said:

What makes you want to puke, that I remembered that you chastised the rest of us for not putting a SC427 on our wish list? :devil:

No not that. Its that you come back from a string of road trips and all the sudden your Mr. fuzzy bunny, goody two shoes, kumbaya guy. What did you do with Ray :jester:

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
ACME A12 said:
[quote="Jim S.":3f3q2nv6]We won't mention the brand of car because I would probably piss everyone off (except Ray).

Chris owns a Torino...

:jester:[/quote:3f3q2nv6]

Diesel Excursion!! Yes, I still have it... a couple of you guys even saw it at Carlisle... and Mrs. Big John has a Ford Edge.

Back