• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Welding question for a iron worker

Jim S.

Reaction score
Once again it's 3:30am and I can't sleep because of my back so, I figured "let's bug George". I am going to help the Grandson fix some gaping holes on his 94 Acura with patch metal. The Jap cars probably used 18 or 20 gauge body metal. I have some 22 gauge and I'm going to use that for the butt weld patches. I'm getting better with my welder since I bought a auto-darkening helmet. I am going to try to get the gap close 1/32" or so. Mig with 80/20 gas. Do I start the weld pool on the original (heavier sheet metal) and drag it to the lighter for a inch or so? Then move to a different area until I have them all connected? I know I could research this on the net but hey, we have you.... :lol:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
your only going to be doing little 1/4 tack welds.........always start welding into the heavier metal and wash into lighter gauge.....your going to be step welding........tacking every 6 thru 12 inches so you dont warp the metal.......i was cooling the welds with a wet rags.........go around and 100 percent weld it and seam seal all inside......they also have weld thru primer .....eastwood.com

they also came out with some time ago......gluing the panels.....they did a test and the glue panels didnt come apart .....the metal ripped ....amazing

Jim S.

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
jim....so how did it go??

Haven't done it yet George. Have to wait until the kid gets a couple of days off from work. Hey at least he's working during summer vacation. He's 17, 12th grade next year. I did weld a large metal piece on the bottom of my broken lawn mower seat today and that worked out good once I got the wire speed and current set right. So if nothing else that was good practice. :yesnod:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
Jim S. said:
george68hemirr said:
jim....so how did it go??

Haven't done it yet George. Have to wait until the kid gets a couple of days off from work. Hey at least he's working during summer vacation. He's 17, 12th grade next year. I did weld a large metal piece on the bottom of my broken lawn mower seat today and that worked out good once I got the wire speed and current set right. So if nothing else that was good practice. :yesnod:
PRACTICE MAKES YOU A BETTER WELDER.....like bobbie said there is a ton of great videos on youtube which will help you too

Back