• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Went to the races Saturday

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
I went to Firebird for the big NHRA race, and I thought to top fuel and funny car racing lacked something only going 1000'. What do you guys think?

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
Top Fuel and Funny Car have been doing the 1000' since Scott Kalita died at Englishtown last year. Alot of the tracks are old, and have a short shut down area.The 1000' gives them more room in case something goes wrong.

Roadcuda

Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Top Fuel and Funny Car have been doing the 1000' since Scott Kalita died at Englishtown last year. Alot of the tracks are old, and have a short shut down area.The 1000' gives them more room in case something goes wrong.
And what adds to the problem with the age, is the location, of some of the tracks, they don't have room to extend the shut down area, which I believe is the case in Englishtown. But Bob, I agree with you. I think the top fuel classes have lost some of the excitement running 1000'. I seem to remember that there was more then one race that wasn't deceided untill that last 320'. But I have a feeling that until they can either extend shutdown areas, or slow the cars down some, it's going to stay at the 1000' mark for some time to come.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Basketcase said:
Yeh that was a sad event. But its seems these cars are still geared the same and not running tight at the end, its like they shut down early just by the sound. I think they should do the quarter on the tracks that can handle the speed and then upgrade the other tracks. There are alot of tracks that can't handle Nitro and they simply don't go there. You know the large older venues would do something not to loose these cars. If it turns into 1/8 mile tracks because they get quicker I won't watch :blah: :blah:

Blown R/T

Reaction score
I think that Pro drag racing should be 1/4 mile where it is safe, and up grade the rest of the tracks when funding is available. 1000 foot is not the same! It all started over at 1000 foot.

Back