• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What is the timing of a 1969 383 built September 1968

nicanor

Reaction score
I believe I'm reading the book and correctly timing the 383 in my car at TDC on the #1 sparkplug wire. Is this corrcet for a 383 built around September 1968?

Thank you,
Barry

moparchris

Reaction score
Set it to 36-40 degrees total timing with the vacuum advance disconnected. You may have to run less if you have pinging problems with the quality Ca pump gas. If it does ping at 40 then back it down in 2 degree increments until its gone then take 4 degrees off that to be safe.

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
and that is around 3000 rpms and the vacumm hose should be blocked off[cardboard/paper/tape] so its not suckin air

moparchris

Reaction score
george68hemirr said:
and that is around 3000 rpms and the vacumm hose should be blocked off[cardboard/paper/tape] so its not suckin air
Thanks George, I forgot to mention that.

SomeCarGuy

Reaction score
I found that my 383 HP liked 34 total. Ran MUCh smoother and pulled stronger than 36 or 38. Even though it didn't ping at those levels. It really does pay to play around and see what it likes. No two combos can really be compared though. The local gas and particular tune plays a role.

Back