• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What shall I make of these?

woodwiz

Reaction score
Those drain holes in frame rails must have been used for maybe trailer tie downs...just not too sure!...Any ideas?

4F9DB90C-6BDB-49DD-ADC3-F525EBEF325F.jpeg

8BCE2F3A-C01C-4175-BDE2-A19F03B14748.jpeg

1F7F4550-1EAF-42DA-ACFB-C68C207D8303.jpeg

D00C78B7-E093-421C-9F6C-DFF7287D5D46.jpeg

droptop

Reaction score
That is exactly what has happened. The only way to fix it is to cut it out and weld in new.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Should I grind it down and then add a little bit of weld to the holes? Also at the time of when Dumb$&@k put the hooks in the frame could it of had an affect on other parts of the frame,like alignment,other weld points?

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I don't think I did any thing else's but open up that rear frame rail. That is a hard place to try and straighten the box out. Would do my best to make it all look like the rest. Put a piece of metal in and weld it up. The front look's like you can hammer that piece back in place and weld it up. The back frame rail is under the trunk pan. Don't know if your taking out the trunk pan. If you are that would be a good time to work on it. Either way it need's to be fixed. It is now a week point the one in the back. Sorry for your luck but had to replace a lot on this car as you may know. Check out my garage Pic's.

woodwiz

Reaction score
I now know which it is too late to go back on. The car was a internet purchase based on pics and info from the dealer. Which without a check done by a 3rd party inspection would have caught all of this and informed me that the purchase is up to me. This is not the end of the world, I will or myself address the issue and or have the deformed frame holes repaired the best way possible. The irony of it all is I am putting it on a uhaul car trailer in a couple of weeks for a move, but no chain hooks just tire tie downs and safety chains not attached to frame rails.

woodwiz

Reaction score
One would think those frame hole deformations would not be a big deal, but I believe that their has to be some weakness created with them being present,I looked over all connections to those rails and everything appears solid. Who ever had it in the past never saw it or blew it off as no big deal. I’m not creating a show car here just a fine part-time daily driver.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I under stand that but like you know metal torn like that is not good. The round hole in the frame is round for a reason. It is still strong. On the other hand a torn piece of metal like in the back is disturbing to me. and would have to fix it for sure. The one in the front would straighten it out and weld it up . The guy or who ever did that had to be a out of his mind. Look's like they really had to pull the heck out of the car to get it out of being stuck or was on the frame. That had to be a hard pull to tear that frame rail in the back. That is what I am thinking. Even if it is just a daily driver better to fix those area's so you won't have any problem's down the road. Just my thought's. Good luck brake out the MIG welder and get some metal the same gauge as the rail and weld it in the back one. You will be a lot better off in the end.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yes. If you saw my garage. You can say that for sure. Getting into the car and taking apart the body. I was let down with all the rust the car had in it. But 50 year's old and if it could talk would tell me how it was abused over the year's. Some times we get excited that we found our dream car and turns out to be a can of worms. 5 year's in a total restore. Thought the motor might have been ok but was wrong their also. Had to get a replacement block to freshen up the power plant. It is going to be a driver. But wanted every thing to work with no problem's. Would like to drive it for many years once it is done. No it was not number's matching and no finder tag. Also no build sheet. Do know it only had two owner's before me. Motor swap at some time and transmission was changed from four speed manual to 727 automatic. But I have put the A833 back in the car and added a classic air even though it was not an A/C car I live in Fla. at my age two window's down and 60 MPH dose not work for me. Guess I am spoiled with the new vehicles having A/C. Wish you the best with the car and sure you will get it fixed like you want. Russ.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Thanks Russ, Yes those Florida days are little hot& humid,not like here in Arizona where the rust that still lurks inside my driver can be put on hold somewhat. I bought the car knowing it would have to be tweaked from time to time,but that’s ok. I have no plans to restore the car it was restored 15+years ago,and my own poking around under it and trying to talk to previous owners it’s obvious that the restoration was frame on. Restoration today means something different to different people. But that bottom and frame appears very solid other than the deformed frame holes. This car did change hands in Florida in 2020 (Mecum) and then a dealer for muscle cars in Ft. Meyers before being bought by a classic car dealer in Iowa,where I made my purchase. I’m still ok with the buy...the car is great...My Time Machine!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
It look's grate. I did a fame on resto. But what else can you do with a unibody car. No rotisserie job here. Blocked it up high and did every thing off a creeper under the car. Some times wish I had it on the rotisserie would have made some of the welding a bit better. But got it done. Yes Your dry air out their is grate. Went though the AZ area a few time's back in the 60's and could see old car's just sitting out their. They were still in good shape as far as the metal went. So It is your choice what you do with your car like the rest of us. But I would have to fix that area in the back for sure. Would not be a lot of work Just to weld some plate in their. Well enjoy that time machine. Russ.

woodwiz

Reaction score
Thanks! I talked with a local restoration guy and he said he’s seen a lot of cars with those holes deformed and attributed it to the old school car truck haulers used chains with hooks to anchor their shipments. He said it can all be fixed right. The one in the back might be able to roll that piece back in place and lay down some nice weld. The one common denominator through the whole search for this car has been...every classic car dealer or seller shows the bottom of the car sprayed with the textured rustproofing. When i’ve called them on it they say it’s just black paint...so whatever! At 50yrs old encapsulating it is the only way. Besides my cargoes to my hot rod daughter when I’m done. Lucky her!!!

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Hey you are leaving it to a good person I know. Yes the under coating would have to come off to fix it. So I take it that you don't do welding. My last result would be to take it some where to be done. Too expensive. Would rather do it my self. After all I can mess it up as well as those shop's. For a third of the money. Hey have fun buddy. It is your car and your choice. :beep:

Back