• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What to do with my car

Coyote killer

Reaction score
so I’m trying to figure out what to do with my car it’sa 69 2 door hardtop Original 383 and auto with 5 thousand miles on a rebuild the car only has 11000 original miles it’s parked for the winter right now it will only ever be a Sunday driver so I don’t need to make this thing into a a race car but I’m trying to figure out if doing a 4 wheel disc conversion is worth it

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Depends on if you want it to drive like a classic or modern car. Give it to me and go get a new Challenger with fancy lights all over it.

Coyote killer

Reaction score
Yeah I would rather it drive like a classic everybody keeps telling me I need to put fuel injection on it and 4 wheel coil overs and turn the damn thing into a spaceship but to me that wrecks what it is the only upgrades I have been thinking about doing is disc brakes

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
I've been driving old mopars since '83. Most have had four wheel drums. Kept adjusted properly, they brake fine in normal driving.

quikbird

Reaction score
If you don't drive it a lot, keep them adjusted, the drum brakes will be fine. If you don't feel comfortable, change to disc setup. Number of companies make good kits to swap out using existing spindles

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Yea I watch Gas Monkey and some of the things they do to the classic cars makes me cringe. Like 22 inch rims and lower them to where they drag the ground. Like to be abele to crawl under the old car and work on it with out having to jack it up. Brake shoes and drums worked for me for year's. Have to admit that disc are easer to put new pads on. But over the years a stuck caliper wearing out the pad and the rotor is no fun. I can change a set of drum shoes just about as fast. So what ever you want is what I would go with. I am going to keep drum brakes on mine.

Ranger

Reaction score
Still have the OEM drums on my '69. No major complaints. Like Basketcase said, they're fine for normal driving, but will leave a little to be desired in a panic or high speed stop. "A man's gotta know his limitations".

roadrunnervet

Reaction score
Still have the OEM drums on my '69. No major complaints. Like Basketcase said, they're fine for normal driving, but will leave a little to be desired in a panic or high speed stop. "A man's gotta know his limitations".
i like to keep my car like walter chrysler drew it up.like it just rolled off a factory line.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Unless you drive it allot and tail gate leave it alone. Got to know your limitations.

Back