• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

What's your thoughts on this radiator idea?

70rr2go

Reaction score
First off the car is a 1970 roadrunner 4 speed car with 505ci with 10-1 comp. engine (it's new and on the test stand now). I know I can buy the griffin exact fit 2 core 22" width with 1-1/4 tubes and bolt right up, hoping that it's sufficient to keep things cool. My other thought would be to adapt the 26" width 2 core to the car hoping that the bigger core will hold more water and dissipate more heat. I will not be cutting the radiator support for the larger radiator since the cars already painted. Has any one here done that or what's your thoughts on this. Thanks for any input.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
my last two cars ('68 Charger R/T,rebuilt 440 4 speed, and '69 road runner with the engine and trans for the Charger, had a new 26" 3 core on a 22" rad support, no shroud, cooled very well.

quikbird

Reaction score
I use a custom prc cross flow rad for stock rr opening with a 26 in jeep twin fan. Has been great.

inri

Reaction score
First off the car is a 1970 roadrunner 4 speed car with 505ci with 10-1 comp. engine (it's new and on the test stand now). I know I can buy the griffin exact fit 2 core 22" width with 1-1/4 tubes and bolt right up, hoping that it's sufficient to keep things cool. My other thought would be to adapt the 26" width 2 core to the car hoping that the bigger core will hold more water and dissipate more heat. I will not be cutting the radiator support for the larger radiator since the cars already painted. Has any one here done that or what's your thoughts on this. Thanks for any input.

Great combo. Post back with dyno results of your engine. Is that a Muscle Motors engine?

70rr2go

Reaction score
Sorry, no dyno results as I'm low on funds at this point. I did the engine myself and breaking in the cam with single springs only. The valve covers and headers are for the break in only. I have the 2' coated hookers and some stock painted valve covers for it when it goes in the car.
2033.jpg
2036.jpg

Last edited:

inri

Reaction score
Looks great! Awesome job on the engine. You'll be happy once it's inside :)

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
I'd put a 22" 3 core radiator in it if it were me.

IMHO, the extra size doesn't mean much if it's not out in the airflow. Plus there's the "it just doesn't look cool" factor...

Roadcuda

Reaction score
FWIW, my also has a 26" on a 22" rad support and has a shroud that was installed by the previous owner. Overall it cools well but can get real hot when sitting in traffic for too long a time.

Basketcase

Keeper of the Green
Reaction score
knew I shoulda swapped rads with you at Columbus.....

Roadcuda

Reaction score
knew I shoulda swapped rads with you at Columbus.....

Maybe, Dave. I don't remember if I mentioned how hot it got sitting in that traffic getting into the show field Friday morning. By the time we got to the gate it had warmed up to almost 230 degrees! And it wasn't that warm of a day yet!! Normal driving it runs around 180-185, even on the real hot days.

70rr2go

Reaction score
Ya, I just can't make my self do that. I decided to go with the larger core. If I don't like it, i'll put the smaller one in.

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Its just money I picked up a champion 22' that is supposed to cool up to 700 HP for my valiant

zupanj

Reaction score
I agree with Big John. I put in a 22" 3 core copper triple flow radiator in my roadrunner when I installed the hemi. It was a bit pricey but is works fine. If anything the engine runs a bit cool if I can believe my temp sensor.

Here's the web site:

http://www.usradiator.com/

Back