• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which carb?

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Trying to figure out which carb to stick on this bad boy of an engine. It had a Demon 850 cfm on the dyno but I'm not sure thats the best for a street/strip combo, so I'm just wondering what you guys think. It is a 498ci stroker 10.5 comp, alum heads, Indy single plane intake. It made 626hp and 640tq. I tried Googling some builds but couldn't find anyone with a similar set up. Btw I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade my fuel lines from stock? :facepalm:

george68hemirr

I think you guys are full of shit.
Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
Trying to figure out which carb to stick on this bad boy of an engine. It had a Demon 850 cfm on the dyno but I'm not sure thats the best for a street/strip combo, so I'm just wondering what you guys think. It is a 498ci stroker 10.5 comp, alum heads, Indy single plane intake. It made 626hp and 640tq. I tried Googling some builds but couldn't find anyone with a similar set up. Btw I'm guessing I'll need to upgrade my fuel lines from stock? :facepalm:
GET IN TOUCH WITH PRO-SYSTEMS.COM.....he could build you a carb and tell you what you need

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks I'll check them out. FYI it's pro-system.com no "s" lol through me off when I went to the wrong site. haha

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
moparchris said:
One word Dominator. Your 850 is small and will drive well on the street.
I was checking those out they look nice but don't they require special spacers to fit on most intakes? Not that it matters I was putting a spacer on anyways. The plus side to being a smaller cfm is a little leaner and better mpg?

cj69RR

Reaction score
Your driving a 500 CID engine and worried about gas milage? My uncle used to run a 850 cfm holley on a big motor like that but that was as big as the rule book would let them run. It worked well and that engine was the badest big block I've ever got to ride in.

moparchris

Reaction score
MuscleCar91 said:
moparchris said:
One word Dominator. Your 850 is small and will drive well on the street.
I was checking those out they look nice but don't they require special spacers to fit on most intakes? Not that it matters I was putting a spacer on anyways. The plus side to being a smaller cfm is a little leaner and better mpg?
Yes. Mileage is going to suck no matter what you put on it. It wont be any leaner with the 850 if they are both properly tuned.

MuscleCar91

Reaction score
Thanks, I'm not too worried about mileage although every little bit helps but I was just trying to make sure I understood because when I was getting my car inspected earlier this year the guy at the inspection place suggested I put a smaller carb on because it was running rich.

cj69RR

Reaction score
Pull the plugs and have a look at what they look like. If they have good color to them your good. If not jet the carb up or down as needed. Reading your plugs is the best way to tell how your engine is running. If it's rich/lean/just right.

Back