• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wiper motor question

Bill Monk

Reaction score
My wipers aren't working and I'm almost postive it's the motor but here's the question: The car has a 3 speed motor in it but the switch is the 3 position rocker switch. Is that correct or has somebody swapped in a 3 speed motor where a 2 speed was? Based on the switch, it would seem to be off, low, high.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
Three speed wipers have 4 spots off, low, med, high and if your switch only has 3 then I don't think the wiper motor will run.

The 3 speed wiper was used in the cars with the air grabber systems so as to clear the air cleaner.

abodybill

Senior Citizen Member
Reaction score
If you have the 440 6bbl setup you have the big air cleaner as my air grabber car has so I would check and see if the motor is good and if so just buy a 3 speed wiper switch. just my .02

Big John

Sit back, relax Don't bitch about the cigar smoke
Reaction score
Is that going to use the same wiring harness for both switches and motors??

Bill Monk

Reaction score
Is that going to use the same wiring harness for both switches and motors??

Good question. This may explain why they aren't working if I have incompatable switch/motor. Since my car was an original 383 and it has a 6bbl now, maybe someone swapped it out for clearance. The wiper connector at the firewall fits but that may not matter, I'm not sure. It's also possible somebody swapped that out as well. This is going to take some investigating. The fender tag should answer part of the mystery. I understand that it should be J25 if it had the 3 speed motor so I'll check that out this evening. Anybody know if there is a code for the 2 speed motor so I'll know what to look for?

Back