• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Working on sway bar

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Just to say the front sway bar had a bad grommet bracket. Must have hit something with it. Had to cut it and reform it to is original shape. Then weld it back to the mounting bracket. Got the new bushing's to go in them. The instruction's where to put the bracket on the sway bar then slide the grommet on. Then put the grommet into it's bracket. Said start the bottom in then work the sides and top in. Suggested soap- oil to lube it up then take a pair of plyer's to work it into the bracket. I must say it was a job. Was mad as hell messed up the paint job on the bracket's. It took two set's of channel lock plyer's and a lot of effort to work that darn thing in. Just about give up a couple of time's. I must say it is not an easy job for such a small part. But got both done. My choice of lube was KY jelly. Too much on the first one and had to clean it off put just a little on the edges where it met the bracket. My hand's are killing me now. So all that is left is to touch up the paint that was skinned off the bracket. Hope to get it installed tomorrow. Can say I have the original one's that came with the car. :beep:

69hemibeep

Sponge Bob Square Wheels
Reaction score
Ahh yes the sway bar bushings, like putting toothpaste back in the tube.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
Did mine and it was like putting an oyster in a parking meter !
That is the truth. You know the first one put to much KY on it and cleaned every thing off. Then just lubed the lip. Still was a beast. But you know the second one was hard but not like the first one. Don't figure. :BangHead:

Big Mo

Reaction score
That is the truth. You know the first one put to much KY on it and cleaned every thing off. Then just lubed the lip. Still was a beast. But you know the second one was hard but not like the first one. Don't figure. :BangHead:
Russ I had to do the same with mine. They are not really made to replace on my 68 but they sell the bushings. Like you I cut the brackets at one side slid the bushings in clamped the brackets back and welded them. Came out ok then painted sway bar and brackets, taped off bushings. I use Dawn dish soap as a lub. because it dries up and does not harm paint.

Russ69Runner

Reaction score
I went over board on the KY jelly. Like I said had to clean it off then put some on the edge of the bracket. I worked better. It was a fight to the death. Either me or it was going to win the battel Royal. Hope I don't have to do that again for a long time. :lol: only cut one side of a bracket. To reform it back to shape. It had hit some thing though out it life. I was not rounded at the top it was flat. After reshaping it welded it back together then tried to put the bushing back in. They were painted before trying to put the bushing's in. Just had to touch them up where the plyers scraped the paint off.

Last edited:

Big Mo

Reaction score
I went over board on the KY jelly. Like I said had to clean it off then put some on the edge of the bracket. I worked better. It was a fight to the death. Either me or it was going to win the battel Royal. Hope I don't have to do that again for a long time. :lol: only cut one side of a bracket. To reform it back to shape. It had hit some thing though out it life. I was not rounded at the top it was flat. After reshaping it welded it back together then tried to put the bushing back in. They were painted before trying to put the bushing's in. Just had to touch them up where the plyers scraped the paint off.
I know sometimes how it comes to not letting it wip you. I just hate it when that happens.

Back